Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Submersive Looking for the Titanic

rcooley25
Level 11

This has absolutely nothing to do with Income Taxes but I feel led to say something.

This situation regarding the missing submersive is getting very spooky.

The reason I am saying this is this.

Many years before the the Titanic sank a book had been written about this huge ship that was said to be unsinkable sank for all of the reasons the Titanic sank and the many deaths because of the lack of the number of lifeboats needed. In this  book the name of the ship was called the Titan. For years people could not get over the simular name and how the facts that caused this accident were the same.

Now we have this missing sub that was suppose to be unsinkable and it is called the Titan.

Creepy huh?

0 Cheers
20 Comments 20
qbteachmt
Level 15

I went to a school named for Robert Goddard and the mascot was the Titan (rocket). We did fine.

"Now we have this missing sub that was suppose to be unsinkable and it is called the Titan."

Well, a sub's purpose is to sink. What it was supposed to be, is durable.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Sadly, they have all been declared dead. 😢 👼

Ex-AllStar
rcooley25
Level 11

First we had the Titan 20 years before the Titanic sank.

Then we had the Titan

And now again we have the Titan

0 Cheers
rcooley25
Level 11

was suppose to say Titanic.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I hope the US and Canada are being reimbursed by these dummies estates for the costs to go looking for them. 

They knew the risks, they were well informed of them.  This was ego and money over safety and common sense.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
IRonMaN
Level 15

If I had a quarter of a million dollars burning a hole in my pocket I could think of a lot of better ways to spend it than hop in that death trap.  It’s sad that those folks died but this nonsense of the rich becoming thrill seekers on adventures like this is crazy.  It’s only a matter of time before one of those rides into space by Elon and his competitors goes kaboom too.  I read an article the other day noting how much attention was placed on this submersible story while the recent sinking of a boat in the Mediterranean resulted in the deaths of how many migrants looking for a better life barely made the back page news. We truly live in a screwed up world.

Slava Ukraini!
User FIDO 61
Level 8

Reimbursement as a consequence for their actions? Ha!

That's no longer a thing here in America these days, sadly. You, I, and the gal them down the street will bear the burden of all associated costs as usual. Taxpayers foot all the bills. And Active Duty & Veterans find themselves settling all other outstanding debts in one way or another.

♫ So if you ask me and I don't tell you
Bet your sweet bottom dollar I lied ♪
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I hope thats not true, if Im an idiot and I climb up a cliff at the beach and get stuck, and fire and rescue has to come save my dumb a$$, Im not getting a bill?

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Part of the job of the Coast Guard and fire & rescue is to rescue people - smart and dumb.  They don't give you an IQ test to see if you should be billed for their services.

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Really?  I always figured a bill followed for stuff like that.

0 Cheers
dsocpa
Level 5

Regarding the Titanic.  There were many immigrants and lower "status" individuals on the 3rd level.  Of the 1,500 who died, a good # were 3rd class passengers.  I seriously doubt 1st class passengers were onboard for the same reason.  Apparently, regulations were lax, what few existed at the time were ignored.  In particular the # of life boats.

Maybe now there will be stricter rules and consequences for those "thrill" seeking individuals with money burning a hole in their pockets and those who willingly take it.  It is particularly tragic that the young man (19) on board allegedly didn't want to go but wanted to please his dad for Father's Day.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Maybe now there will be stricter rules and consequences for those "thrill" seeking individuals with money burning a hole in their pockets and those who willingly take it."

Thursday: https://www.space.com/virgin-galactic-sets-date-1st-commercial-spaceflight

"that the young man (19) on board allegedly didn't want to go"

On the national news, his mother is quoted as stating he asked to go, so she gave up her seat.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
IRonMaN
Level 15

The aunt said he didn't want to go, the mom said he wanted to go.  Who got the story right?

Now the press is busy quoting anybody that ever thought about going on the submersible.  It's a good time for another Chinese balloon to fly over the U.S. ------------- just to get the press to move on from the submersible story.

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

The "stupid motorist law" in Arizona (ARS 28-910)  states that any motorist who becomes stranded after driving around barricades to enter a flooded stretch of roadway may be charged for the cost of their rescue.  If public emergency services (such as a fire department or paramedics) are called to rescue a flooded motorist and tow the vehicle out of danger in Arizona, the cost of those services can be billed to the motorist, plus additional liability of up to $2,000.  Motorists are only liable if water already covers the road, barriers are in place but bypassed, and people are rescued from a vehicle.   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stupid_motorist_law

On the other hand, fire departments exist largely to rescue people who smoke in bed, and police departments investigate damage and death caused by alcohol.  The cost of trying to rescue a submersible addict here and there, is infinitesimal compared to these vices.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

The stupid motorist law is stupid.  When would someone ever drive into a flooded road in Arizona.  How can things flood if it never rains there?😉

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

@IRonMaN must be one of those people who think that canyon is in Colorado because that's the name of the river that carved it.  In fact, there are few floods on the Arizona desert, but even less flood control.  And the weather is like politics, we have storms coming our way from California and Texas.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

I know the canyon isn't in Colorado.  Colorado has those Everglades so it would be hard to fit a canyon in with all of that water and alligators.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
dsocpa
Level 5

I don't see the article from your link?  Every news story I heard stated he did not want to go.  No matter he's dead now.  Really tragic all around so I wouldn't make light of who said what.  Mom could be covering for her husband AND maybe he didn't want mom to know he didn't want to go either.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
0 Cheers
User FIDO 61
Level 8

Oh sure... "news" like that's even still a thing?!  (Fake news)

What next? ...facts?!

♫ So if you ask me and I don't tell you
Bet your sweet bottom dollar I lied ♪
0 Cheers