Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync Toy

Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

Does anyone use Sync Toy?

I'm looking to replace GoToMyPc.  (way to expensive and I can use RDP for remote access

I keep files on a server and a workstation and need to copy/append from one to the other and back again...  

Can I append newer files to other folder? 

Can you schedule automatic backups? 

Can it save multiple configurations or repeat (remember) last used? 

Thanks   

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
rbynaker
Level 13

@Skylane wrote:

Does anyone use Sync Toy?

I'm looking to replace GoToMyPc.  (way to expensive and I can use RDP for remote access

I keep files on a server and a workstation and need to copy/append from one to the other and back again...  

Can I append newer files to other folder? 

Can you schedule automatic backups? 

Can it save multiple configurations or repeat (remember) last used? 

Thanks   

I've only used it manually.  Looks like it does have command line functions.  You can save "folder pairs" and run them from the command line.  I presume you can use Windows Scheduler to make things happen at a specified time.

---

C:\Program Files\SyncToy 2.1>synctoycmd -?
Usage: SyncToyCmd [-args]
-R Run all folder pairs that are marked as Active for Run All.
-R <name> Run the named folder pair (only one folder pair can be specified).
-? Display this help.

Examples:
SyncToyCmd -R MyFolderPair
SyncToyCmd -R

---

Looks like you can also use SyncToy command line functions but synctoy -? pops open a window with syntax that I can't copy/paste.  I can try to snip.

Capture.PNG

Edit: A bit more on the three functions:

Synchronize: New and updated files are copied both ways.  Renames and deletes on either side are repeated on the other.

Echo: New and updated files are copied left to right.  Renames and deletes on the left are repeated on the right.

Contribute: New and updated files are copied left to right.  Renames on the left are repeated on the right.  No deletions.

Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

Thank you Rick! Hope you’re doing great 

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
0 Cheers
taxes96786
Level 9

I just signed up for 2T in Google Drive.  Much cheaper than any other I researched and has all the bells and whistles.

0 Cheers