Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alimony- Taxpayer doesnt have ssn# of spouse but I do

Level 4

hi everyone, so my situation is this. Taxpayer has been a client of mine for 10 years.. he was married and divorced..and got married again the same year of divorce. he is paying alimony so i have to report his alimony payments on the state (california) however he doesnt have the x-wifes ssn#, Since i did there taxes i do have all of her info and she was a client last year..do i just type in the social myself or does taxpayer have to know her ssn#. I was thinking that may be wrong to just enter in her info just cause i have access to it. Please let me know if i should tell him i cannot enter it myself he must provide the ssn# ? I feel like thats the right thing to do but then im not sure if im just being to cautious. 

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
IRonMaN
Level 15

When you don't feel comfortable doing something, it usually is a good time to hit the brakes.  You said you did "there" taxes as in a joint return last year?  If that is the case he can always ask you for a copy of last year's return so then he could provide the number to you.  If you prepared their returns individually, I think you are going to want to have him get that number rather than you grabbing it off of her return.

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

Doesn't he have a copy of the prior return(s) he file with the Ex that show the SSN's.  He could easily look at those & 'give' you the number.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
taxes96786
Level 9

He is entitled to a copy of the joint return. If she won't give it to him he can ask his attorney to get it from her.  Or it may be in his attorney's files as part of the divorce settlement.

0 Cheers