Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ProSeries Pricing

jcflint
Level 2

Just canceled our firms Pro Series Network version after +20 years with Intuit. Pricing has gotten outrageous for tax software (10k) and all their other software's (Smart vault). Extremely unprofessional on the phone while I was canceling and did absolutely nothing to attempt to keep my business. 

0 Cheers
20 Comments 20
IRonMaN
Level 15

So you left ProSeries.  What software are you heading for that has greener pastures?

Slava Ukraini!
jcflint
Level 2

Drake Tax Software 1/3 the price. Setup a demo. Everything transfers very easy and their user interface is better than Pro Series. Drakesoftware.com

ajp
Level 5

I'm curious as well.  I agree that the pricing has gone crazy.  Other companies seem to be more competitive, but I worry about what I will lose and, eventually, regret.  

Do you only do 1040's?  I struggle to find options that support all the forms I use.  Yet, I'm not certain the amount of business I do with some of the other forms is worth the cost.  However, whenever I've asked proseries to break it down, they don't do so in a way that is useful to me.

I would also love a follow up. Let us know if everything went smoothly or not.  

jcflint
Level 2

We do about 2000 returns a year. We prepare individual, tursts, & entity returns (1k individual in that figure). We have clients in every state so quite a few state returns too.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Hopefully the switch to Drake works well for you.  A number of users have switched to them because of cost and/or support.  But then again, a number of those have switched back because the Drake pastures weren't as green as they had hoped.  I believe some folks also made the switch to Drake but hung on to ProSeries on a pay per return basis because the Drake engine wasn't humming on all eight cylinders for some of their more complicated returns.  I too have been frustrated with Intuit enough times to think about looking at Drake but as of today I have never gone as far as to download a trial version.

Slava Ukraini!
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

If you try and escalate the issue I believe Inutit will try and keep you as a customer. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

"Dear customer support, I am leaving you, but the representative I told that too didn't beg me to stay.  Can you bump this up the ladder until you find someone that will beg me to stay"????????????

Trust me, if I made the decision to leave, I would be more irritated to have someone on the other side of the phone pestering me to stay.  Once I'm gone, I'm gone.  Please don't waste anymore of my time trying to change my mind.

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

I went thru that.... "oh my goodnes, why are you leaving us.... please talk to our customer retention department" when I dropped DirectTV.     They couldn't understand why I didn't love them anymore 😉

@jcflint -  I tried Drake; I have several colleague who also tried it (all Lacertian users...).  The biggest complaint was how states (esp California) were handled.  Or more accurately, NOT handled.   The extra time double checking things that are automatic in Lacerte didn't justify the cost difference.  And now that Drake has been acquired by venture capitalist, it will be interesting to see how that famed customer support is impacted as well as future price increases. 

Let us know how it goes with all those states that you do.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Have you demoed Drake and looked at what they offer for states?  Ive seen mixed reviews for expectations being met.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
PATAX
Level 15

I looked at Drake many years ago. Went to one of their seminars and received a  demo or prior year software from them, can't remember which one. At that time, I believe they didn't have a complete conversion for nonprofit 990s.....Although the price is lower, I don't want to have to double-check everything during tax season to see if all the carryforwards came forward and accumulated depreciation and so forth. It just isn't worth the extra time to me, so I will pay the extra money. Pro Series has done a good job the last couple of years or so. I'm sticking with Pro Series. Now that I've said this, I expect to get a nice gift in the mail from Intuit. Thank you Intuit you are #1!

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

Been with intuit since 1997 when they bought out the great little program, Parsons Personal Tax Edge. When efiing was first implemented, I would have to back up the return on a floppy and mail it in via u.s. mail to be efiled.

IRonMaN
Level 15

@PATAX  - Intuit contacted me and asked that I mail your gift out to you, but they didn't provide your address.  As soon as you can provide me with your address I will get your priceless gift out in the mail to you.  Just so you don't lose any sleep wondering what they selected, I have attached a pic of your beautiful one of a kindSlippers.jpg gift.  Of course to meet stringent Intuit requirements, the Intuit logo is displayed prominently on the bottom of the slippers.  Enjoy!

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

👍👍👍Thanks a million IronMan. That is an awesome gift. I'm heading out to the woods right now with the boss🐕.

rbynaker
Level 13

@jcflint wrote:

Drake Tax Software 1/3 the price. Setup a demo. Everything transfers very easy and their user interface is better than Pro Series. Drakesoftware.com

Caveat: Maybe they've gotten better since I converted...

Yes, everything transfers very easy but not always correctly.  When I converted I had a 3-page list of issues/questions about stuff that didn't transfer correctly and required some sort of manual entry/correction in Drake.  I looked around but can't find the list (it's been nearly a decade) but I was able to dig up an email I sent to TaxGuyBill detailing the experience.

Rental depreciation was an issue.  Pick a few returns and compare what was calculated and filed in PS vs. what Drake calculated after the conversion.  I think the issue might have been related to depreciation via MACRS tables vs. depreciation via MACRS formulas.  It was probably a universal problem (i.e. not limited to Sch E) but most of my Sch C folks de minimis/S179/bonus everything in the first year so it wasn't noticeable.  But throw $600K of real estate on a depreciation schedule and you'll see a difference.

State returns didn't convert at all and, in general, are hit-or-miss.  I'm in VA where we mostly follow federal with only a few adjustments so it works pretty well but don't expect the software to help you out much with states.  Sometimes the data flows automatically from the federal input.  Sometimes you enter data in a federal screen but code it "0" for federal (meaning ignore) and tag it to a specific state.  Sometimes there's an entry box in the state module.  Sometimes you just have to put in an override on the state return.  Some of the override boxes are "+/-" what was already calculated, others are "=" overrides that ignore what the software calculated entirely and instead use the number you entered in the box.  On the old Drake software user forum the term "consistently inconsistent" was frequently used to describe software behavior, particularly when it comes to state modules.

Foreign Earned Income Exclusion is MUCH easier in ProSeries.  Drake was a mess and I ended up disengaging from my FEIE clients when I dumped PS.  I think it's gotten better, and it does a pretty good job at merging the data entry if you have FBAR and 8938 filings.

Sch D/8949 is basically just like the forms.  PS used to help out a lot with tons of worksheets for employee stock options, inherited property, gifted property, splits, spin-offs, really any situation imaginable was in there somewhere.  In Drake you just type in the data that goes in the 8949 columns.  But the huge win with Drake is that it imports Sch D very easily from an .xls file.  So I have spreadsheet templates for my folks with stock options, crypto, etc. that arrange the data in the format that Drake imports.

There's nothing even remotely close to an education credit optimizer.  Figure out what numbers go on what forms for what credits/deductions/exclusions and enter that into the software.  Right or wrong, that's what gets sent with the return.

Overrides in Drake are usually super-easy.  File this as a Pro or a Con as you see fit.  The work-around for a lot of PS issues is "turn off error checking and efile anyway".  In Drake, just plop in the override number and move on with your day.

Medical expenses?  Yeah, that's one box on Sch A.  I still use the PS Medical Wks for some clients to organize their data.

Drake does try to help with Due Diligence (above and beyond what's required directly on the 8867) but I thought PS did a much better job so I still use old PS questions instead of the Drake DD helper forms.

If you're geeky, you'll like Drake.  One word: Macros.  Also files like the engagement letter, cover letter, organizer questionnaire, etc. are text files using RTF tags so you're not forced to use the awful built-in editor for customizing communications.

If you're scaling back your practice, Drake was a good step-down from the expense of ProSeries.  But if you're trying to expand your practice, I'm not sure that's a step in the right direction.

Rick

Highwy17
Level 2

For 2023 tax filing, for single user Proseries Professional unlimited filings etc.. ... they are asking approx. $5700.  What is a reasonable discount that I can ask for.. based on what some of you might have paid?

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

You can ask for anything you want ------------------------- but the odds of getting what you want falls somewhere between slim and none.

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@Highwy17 wrote:

For 2023 tax filing, for single user Proseries Professional unlimited filings etc.. ... they are asking approx. $5700.  What is a reasonable discount that I can ask for.. based on what some of you might have paid?

5700 for unlimited of all types of returns?  Ive seen some people say they pay close to 7000 for that package, so your price sounds discounted already.

jztax
Level 3

Only cost you few dollars per return, the switch to Drake might cost you more time and headache.

linda2
Level 5

We are paying close to $8,000!

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@linda2 wrote:

We are paying close to $8,000!

That's what I was thinking, 5700 sounded like a deal!

Now if they're paying 5700 for unlimited 1040s only, yeah that's close to double what most people pay for that package.

0 Cheers