Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting a paper savings bond with refund

PATAX
Level 15

Has anyone ever done this? If so how do you do it? One of my buddies wife just had first son, and he asked me about this, and 529 plan. Thanks.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
rbynaker
Level 13

IMO the best approach is to buy up to $10,000 on treasurydirect.gov.  If they really want the extra $5,000 kicker, that can come out of the tax refund.  It's done via Form 8888 but they'll end up with a stack of paper bonds of various denominations (which will each be sent in separate envelopes through the reliable U.S. Mail.)

Rick

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
rbynaker
Level 13

IMO the best approach is to buy up to $10,000 on treasurydirect.gov.  If they really want the extra $5,000 kicker, that can come out of the tax refund.  It's done via Form 8888 but they'll end up with a stack of paper bonds of various denominations (which will each be sent in separate envelopes through the reliable U.S. Mail.)

Rick

BobKamman
Level 15

There you go again, trying to trigger me with unpleasant memories.  Actually, this is an unpleasant current adventure.  My client just came from Bank of America, where they told her they no longer redeem savings bonds.  Last I heard, Chase would do them only 10 at a time.  So if you had more than that, come back again tomorrow.

But the real problem I am having is that Granny bought bonds, lots of them, for her son and then put her granddaughter's name on them as POD.  Problem is, Granny wasn't quite sure how granddaughter spelled her first name.  Let's say everyone called the kid Kris, but her birth certificate says Kristi and Granny thought it was Krista.  At the time this happened, granddaughter was an adult and married, and Granny spelled the last name correctly.  

Banks wouldn't touch that problem so we mailed off some bonds to Treasury Direct in Minneapolis.  Copies of birth certificate and marriage certificate and Dad's death certificate.  And affidavit by granddaughter explaining how the mistake happened. 

A month later, Treasury sends a form asking for further explanation from a "disinterested person" (not defined).  For various reasons there is no one else available for that, so I offer to try.  This form requires a signature guarantee (like, from a bank or broker), not a notary.  I go to the two banks where I have accounts.  They don't do that anymore.  I wait a week, until my barber gets back from a cruise, and go to Fidelity Investments.  (Their office is eight miles away but my barber moved to a shop that is close to them.)  After explaining the situation to two people, I get the coveted signature guarantee.  All they're guaranteeing is my signature, not the contents of my statement.  

(A month earlier, Fidelity had closed down my accounts with no notice, because they discovered they don't have my home address, just my office address.  They said this was required by the Patriot Act, but it really stems from the Bank Secrecy Act, forerunner of the BOI legislation.  But I digress.)

A few weeks later, the bonds were paid.  On December 30, so the income fell into 2023, and another month's interest was avoided.  Yesterday we sent off the rest of the bonds, with the same documentation, including a copy of the signature-guaranteed form I signed.  My guess is that they will want an original.  By then, I'll probably need another haircut.

There's a Form 8888 for what your client wants to do.  Apparently they are "I" Bonds, because paper EE bonds no longer exist.  Just make sure they spell the kid's name right.  

PATAX
Level 15

@BobKamman @rbynaker @TaxGuyBill thanks a lot for that information. Looks like they won't sell ee bonds via paper. Right before the banks stopped issuing Paper Bond sales, I bought some more, in fact I think it was the last day it was offered years ago. I want the bonds in my hand and that's why I like paper bonds. Bob, what a big joke that they made you go through all that nonsense because of her first name spelling. This definitely has something to do with all of this new BS like boi and other nonsense. I know this, because the area where I live and grew up is a heavily white ethnic area, and people's first names were misspelled all of the time on bank accounts and even real estate purchases, and it was never a problem. People had common sense at that time. Now everything is a joke and good people have to jump through  Hoops because of some clown scammers and bs regulations.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

@PATAX I should probably have added that she goes by her middle name -- so it's like Mary Kristi Smith being on her birth certificate, and the bonds were POD to Krista Jones, after she married Jones.  I don't think lack of common sense is a recent development with government workers, it's been that way for as long as I remember, and older people used to tell me about it too.