Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nontaxable unemployment

LindaC1
Level 2

When will the program update to not tax the first $10,200 in unemployment under the new stimulus package? Should we just use the 'repayment' option on the amount for now, or wait to file?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

No update needed, you should follow the instructions issued yesterday by IRS

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/irs-procedures/forms-publications/new-exclusion-of-up-to-10200-of-unemploym...

Be sure to research how your particular state might be handling this.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
RollTide68
Level 8
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

No update needed, you should follow the instructions issued yesterday by IRS

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/irs-procedures/forms-publications/new-exclusion-of-up-to-10200-of-unemploym...

Be sure to research how your particular state might be handling this.

Abacus44
Level 2

And IRS says NOT to amend returns (at least not yet). A return in process that I tried to adjust for unemployment resulted in it calculating EIC, not sure if that will be acceptable to IRS. Expect guidelines to be issued by mid-week (3/17/2021) then factor in time for software companies to adjust software parameters. Don't expect immediate response/fix for this issue.

SummersTax
Level 2

So are we to go ahead and enter on line 8 other income "UCE" and the corresponding amount as a negative amount?  There will be no program update that we should wait for? I realize that you have to considered your own specific state rulings.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
yes, BUT if these returns also have payback of APTC, thats another change in the Recovery Act that Im not sure how it will be dealt with on the return or if IRS will make that adjustment themselves.

lucrecia
Level 4

Hello Champ Lisa, Do you know if we treat this like an IHSS, like we exclude the income on line 8 (other income)?. On proseries basic wont let me just type in a figure on line8, Id have to open the line8 form and enter my exclusion there. Btw, thank you for the link.

0 Cheers