Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My client is insisting that I list TWO middle initials for him.

hcliston
Level 4

ProSeries Basic will not allow me to do that.  His name is something like "Stefan R. F. Lopez"

I tried making the first name "Stefan R." and the middle initial "F."  and it sort of works on the federal return.

But on the state return, his first name shows up as "STEFANR" 

I cannot find any workarounds, and the client won't back down. 

Any ideas?

Thank you!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MICHAELMARS
Level 5

Easy fix,  increase fee $100 and paper file.

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
BobKamman
Level 15

New client, right?  Now you know why last year's preparer told him not to come back. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

I told Stefan I never wanted to see him again.  I’m glad he listened.

Slava Ukraini!
dascpa
Level 11

You'll have to match the Social Security card.  Many countries this is very common but no matter how you put it in for presentation purposes, it will be e-file rejected for a name mismatch. Second choice - paper file and throw the second middle initial into the last name.  Stephan R.   F Lopez

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

The IRS doesnt recognize first names or middle initials anyhow, tell him to either pick one,  leave them both out, or find someone else to deal with his OCD disorder..

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
BobKamman
Level 15

Using two last names is a common practice in many Hispanic places, like the United States.  (My Puerto Rican client is hyphenated.)  Using two middle names is probably more common in this country.  Just ask George Herbert Walker Bush, or my college classmate George Raymond Richard Martin.  Maybe it has something to do with suffering from the first name George.  But then there is Charles Philip Arthur George Windsor.  I wonder how you enter King Charles III?  

MICHAELMARS
Level 5

Easy fix,  increase fee $100 and paper file.

BobKamman
Level 15

I played around with this a little, and didn't have any problem using "Stefan R F" as the first name on the 1040.  Problem was with California -- is that where you are?  It deletes any punctuation or spaces between letters, so it comes out STEFANR or STEFANRF no matter what you do.  So I would sympathize with the client and suggest he move to Nevada.