Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LET'S ALL PLEDGE TO MIGRATE TO NEW SOFTWARE NEXT YEAR

FTAX
Level 5

This is BEYOND unacceptable.  Eight days into tax-season and the tax software we have spend THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS FOR won't allow us to print many state returns - including ones in which WE CAN E-FILE!  Between Proseries & Quickbooks, I am into Intuit for over $100,000 over the past 28 years.  They have nothing but contempt for us.

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

60 Comments 60
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I didnt realize that some states not being final until the first week of Feb was unusual ...isn't  that how it works every year?  EFile season usually doesnt open in the very end of January though, so maybe this earlier opening makes it feel like a longer wait for states.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
hankinstax
Level 5

I agree completely.  Twenty-five years with Intuit.  Color me gone.

FTAX
Level 5

In the case of NJ, at least, the software has been allowing e-filing for days. Just not the ability to PRINT ANYTHING.  Totally unacceptable.  If the forms are not 'finalized', then Intuit can force a watermark stating so if they like, but hijacking my computer is unacceptable.  

PATAX
Level 15

Lisa, it is more than just the first week of February. Here is an example for the return I am working on now: Form rev-1630, PA underpayment of estimated tax, scheduled to be final on February 17th. Local earned income tax return for Pennsylvania, will not be final until February 17th. Federal Form 2210 EF ready on February 24th. There you go, three forms just for one client that I'm working on now. Come on Intuit, I know you are much better than this. Just my humble opinion.

IRonMaN
Level 15

@Just-Lisa-Now-  "I didnt realize that some states not being final until the first week of Feb was unusual ...isn't that how it works every year"

It isn't unusual for Intuit, but that is kinda their point --------- it ain't quite that unusual for other softwares.  I don't have that issue for MN, but I'm not really cranking out returns yet.  But I would be just as pissed as these folks are after having their practices thrown up in the air because of Intuit delays. 

Slava Ukraini!
dascpa
Level 11

Is it Intuit delays?  As we get no info from the powers-to-be is it Intuit programmers?  Is it certain states take priority over others?  Or could it be the state's tax agencies have approved some software vendor's submissions but just not ProSeries yet?  We can blame everybody but we don't have the facts.  Then again, this board is to blow off steam, not actually get Intuit to do anything......

Ludy
Level 2

I agree that even though the state e file is not available for filing there should be a way to print the state return. I have tried go through form option and still no printing allowed The only thing it does allow is the e file signature to be printed at least

IRonMaN
Level 15

But how do you e-file a return that the client hasn't had a chance to look at and approve?

Slava Ukraini!
FTAX
Level 5

Exactly! Although, I suppose, you could swing the screen towards your client and have them look at it that way.

Rick1725
Level 3

In Mass I can neither Print nor eFile Mass returns. The state is accepting eFile, but we can't file. It is a ProSeries problem. And to make matters worse, I just heard from a colleague that he can Print and eFile through Lacerte! If Intuit can do it for Lacerte, why can't they do it for ProSeries. I am disgusted by Intuit's greed and underperformance!

dkh
Level 15

If Intuit can do it for Lacerte, why can't they do it for ProSeries.    The answer to that is $$$$$$$

IRonMaN
Level 15

It is so nice of Intuit to help us celebrate Festivus together as we go through that time honored tradition of airing our grievances. 😁

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

You do the research on what other software companies have available at the moment. 

I'll consider if they are significantly faster, although my clients are still waiting for 1099's and W-2's so I'm not ready to complete any returns yet anyway. 

The estimated-tax penalty forms are delayed because the payment due dates were adjusted in many cases.  The EIC refunds can't be paid until February 15 anyway -- Pennsylvania may not be as concerned about identity theft, although they seem extra conscious about identifying people when they vote.

Very few things in life are worth getting upset about, and this is not one of them if it is a problem shared by other software vendors and other practitioners.  

FTAX
Level 5

There's one in every group. SMH.  

FarmerCPA
Level 3

I'm definitely more adept at airing of grievances than the feats of strength.  But I'd be willing to duke it out with Intuit at this point!

SERENITY NOW!  Insanity later.

dkh
Level 15

I agree with Bob

0 Cheers
FTAX
Level 5

There's two in every group.  

BobKamman
Level 15

@dkh   What?  I thought he meant himself.  

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

"Very few things in life are worth getting upset about..."

Especially things you have zero control over.

Rick1725
Level 3

With the new $600 charitable deduction for joint non-itemizers, I'm seeing a lot of Krakatoan Volcano Relief Fund donations. Is that legit?

PATAX
Level 15

👎....sorry dkh.... you still are number one though...😉🐕

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

In the past Ohio has been late but this year I am so glad that Ohio was on time. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

"Very few things in life are worth getting upset about, and this is not one of them if it is a problem shared by other software vendors and other practitioners"

But we all have different practices.  Some of us have the luxury of waiting a bit and having state software available on the same day as e-filing opens up doesn't mean much to us.  But for others, they are trying to hit the pavement running on opening day and the delays cause them a lot of heartburn.  They have to try to explain to their clients that although their competitors are up and running they need to wait because I am the best preparer in town but my software is a little slow out of the starting blocks.  So when they need a little support from us to make Intuit a little more aware of their difficulties, I have no problem trying to lend a hand.

Slava Ukraini!
dascpa
Level 11

As my quarterback for the Ravens likes to say - "Nobody Cares - Work Harder".  Or wait, was that my wife who said it.......

magaler
Level 1

Very true.  Beyond unacceptable.  I understand that MA has to ok all the forms, but there's no reason at all why we should be prevented from printing the tax return, which would only be used as a copy for the client.  I don't care if it has "draft copy" all over it, I just need to print it.  One day there will be more competition out there to choose from.

PATAX
Level 15

But Lisa, some people are not happy unless they are pissed off.....

PATAX
Level 15

Bob, Pennsylvania does not have an earned income tax credit program of any kind. The local earned income tax return, in the Pennsylvania module, that I referenced to above,  is a simple wage tax return, usually 1% of the wages or Schedule C income. It is a very simple one page return that is mailed in, and in the past Pro Series has not had this form ready at this time, like this year,  and it is holding up tax preparers here in PA. The format has not been changed in years, so I do not know why it is not ready now.

IntuitGabi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Intuit is working quickly with the updates and approvals we receive on a daily basis. 
Some states request that only final approved versions of their forms to be printed from professional tax software.

I understand your frustrations and we're aware of this gap between being able to e-file and unable to print. 

Once the forms from the IRS and State Agency form are published, our developers work to make sure the forms in the program are accurately updated for printing. This includes all related detail input, barcodes (when applicable), and form calculations that require adjustment. The forms are then tested for accuracy and sent to the IRS/State Agency where they undergo an approval process.  Once a form is approved, the program is updated, the watermark is removed, Forms Availability is updated, and the forms are then ready for print. 

Thank you for your patience as we get approval for the forms to be finalized. Continue to review the dates on LFS and Forms Availability for Final and EF Ready dates. Dates are subject to change. 

dbtaxsolutions
Level 4

So unacceptable, this is the first time in 7 years i cannot file NC as soon as IRS was open. 

What's the hold up. ? Can't even efile NC state to amend prior year?

It's not like we are not aware tax season is coming around this time, please allow for more time to work on the software so it can be ready. I have done taxes, I can't send invoice for because I have nothing to show for, can't print incomplete return, can't have sign return, can't get paid. 

Please i know it says 17th of Feb or some 24th of Feb, come on Intuit can do better than this. I work for intuit in Turbo tax and we can efile why not proseries...

Thank you

IRonMaN
Level 15

"I work for intuit in Turbo tax and we can efile why not proseries"

I have a hunch that statement isn't going to score you many points around here 😶

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@IRonMaN something smells🥔....😉

FTAX
Level 5

Stop preventing us from print a DRAFT copy of the form.  You may watermark the hell out it if you like, but don't micro-manage us.  We pay good money for your software.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
In the past theyve told us its the STATE that doesnt want them to be able to be printed until theyre final...apparently some geniuses were still mailing them in with the NOT FINAL watermark.

IRonMaN
Level 15

But who paper files early using ProSeries?  All of the early returns are e-filed in the big rush.  Personally, I would like to see that letter from the states telling Intuit that.

Slava Ukraini!
dascpa
Level 11

Hmm, sounds like my former partner. He likes to finish tax season by February 5th so he waits for no man, no woman, no software.

hankinstax
Level 5

@IntuitGabi Frustration has turned to anger.  Why is ProSeries  the only program with these problems year end and year out.  Fix it so we can at least print draft forms  and get on with business.  My state agency says you guys were late to the game and I believe it.  Your "dates are subject to change" means you may, or more likely may not, get around to fixing the problem.

In understand you are an employee and must promote the company line.  This is in no way to be seen as a shot at you.  The head guys need to read this thread and light a fire under someone.

PATAX
Level 15

Right on Brother Hank... Every single person I ever knew named Hank was a first class stand up guy....

FTAX
Level 5

I Googled 'famous men named Hank' to confirm that they were all stand up guys & ranker.com actually has someone named "Hank Green" as the most famous Hank, even above Hank Aaron & Hank Williams & Hank Williams jr.. I don't know who Hank Green is, but I suspect he does not work for Intuit.  

PATAX
Level 15

Hank Williams Senior "I Saw the Light" on YouTube☝

BobKamman
Level 15

OK, so now it turns out you are talking about CITY tax returns, for podunk towns with maybe 50K population unless they only have 30K.  You people get what you deserve.  We have laws against city income tax, where I'm from.  

0 Cheers
PATAX
Level 15

Every city and town in Pennsylvania has the wage tax, including Pittsburgh and Philadelphia.... people are used to paying it, but yes you are right it is a joke....

BobKamman
Level 15

@magaler "  I don't care if it has "draft copy" all over it, I just need to print it. "

You can always take a screen shot, then print that.  But it's better to curse the darkness, than to light a candle.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

"for podunk towns with maybe 50K population"

So make up your mind.  Are you talking podunk towns or not because 50K ain't podunk to me.

As a side note, I'll take podunk any day.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

Lisa, in the past messages like "do not file" or "not final" or something similar , appeared on the local wage tax returns in the PA module.( Local wage tax returns have to be mailed in, IE they cannot be electronically filed through tax software).. I,  like a "genius" , did put a line through that message, and the clients did mail it in ,and every single one was accepted by the taxing authorities.... So I guess I'm not too stupid after all, for being descended from Lajos Von Almassy de Felicz,  who by the way was a real "genius"...😉👍🐕

IRonMaN
Level 15

But that's those screwy local PA returns ------------- those don't count 😜

Slava Ukraini!
rbynaker
Level 13

Most years in VA the Legislature doesn't decide what the tax laws are until Feb or Mar of the following year.  We're still waiting to see if PPP2 forgiveness will be taxable (and to what extent) and whether or not we can get state tax credits for PTE tax paid to other states.  So I'm never in a huge rush.

That said, I already left Intuit a few years ago.  I just come back here for the comedy and because THEY LEAVE THE BARN DOOR WIDE OPEN.

IRonMaN
Level 15
[removed]

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

[removed]

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
BobKamman
Level 15

Quotefancy-872367-3840x2160.jpg