Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to report multiple stock transactions on schedule D

Sanichi 1
Level 2

Have a day trader with hundreds of stock transactions to enter on Schedule D. I'm aware that you can summarize these on Schedule D. Can someone help me on the correct way to do it?   

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

Enter the totals for each section (Short term reported, long term reported etc) and attach the broker statement as a pdf.

0 Cheers
Greta
Level 9

Is the detailed statement required to be attached as a PDF? Even if reported by the brokerage to the IRS?

I am an oldster who has never learned to attach PDF statements. I have efiled the totals under short, long, covered without a PDF attachment. I've detailed only uncovered trades in Form 8949. Is this incorrect?

Sanichi 1
Level 2

Are these the steps to create a PDF  file?

Go to Efile

Click on Attach PDF files

Then add attachment

Then select as description Form 8949

The PDF file will then be transmitted with return

What about the Form 8453?

Do you send it after efile acceptance?

0 Cheers
Greta
Level 9

But I don't have the PDF file to attach, I only have the printed hard copies sent by the broker to the client.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Greta - the cops haven’t dumped you in the slammer yet so I think you are safe doing what you are doing.  The 1099B says “reported to the IRS” so why do you need to report the detail again?

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers