Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to file a 2nd 1040x for 2921 form 1040

golferalan
Level 2

I want to efile a 2nd 1040x for 2021. i am using the first 1040x and making the change. The first 1040x

merely was requesting the refund to be applied to 2022 estimates. It was filed one day after original 1040 efiled.

Now I can't efile the new 1040x because IT has already been efiled. So, I need a 2nd 1040x to be processed but I don't know how to do a 2nd 1040x  that can be efiled on its own. I can call proseries

but I thought I would ask here.

Thanks

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Now I can't efile the new 1040x because IT has already been efiled

Are you sure of this?  I don't think any returns can be e-filed until the IRS reopens in January.

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7

Now I can't efile the new 1040x because IT has already been efiled

Are you sure of this?  I don't think any returns can be e-filed until the IRS reopens in January.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Once Efiling reopens in January, you CAN EF a second 1040X, but there is an additional checkbox on the EF Info Worksheet that needs to be checked that tells the program that it is the second amended return, without that box checked, it wont let it be Efiled..

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
BobKamman
Level 15

Was the first 1040-X filed last year (2022)?  Did the credit-elect actually work?  

George4Tacks
Level 15

I don't your 1st 1040X did anything.

Line 23 Instructions

Line 23—Overpayment Applied to Estimated Tax

Enter on line 23 the amount, if any, from line 21 you want applied to your estimated tax for next year. Also enter that tax year in the space provided. No interest will be paid on this amount.

If you owe past-due federal or state debts, all or part of your overpayment will be used to pay the past-due amount. You will receive a notice if any of your overpayment has been applied to past-due amounts, so you will know how much was applied to your estimated tax.

caution.gif

You can’t change your election to apply part or all of the overpayment on line 21 to next year's estimated tax.

---------------------

See the section on   How to amend a previously amended return  at https://accountants.intuit.com/support/en-us/help-article/amend-tax-return/amending-individual-retur...

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
golferalan
Level 2

Didn't work, refund check received.. But, latter I discovered I missed some depreciation on a rental property thus requiring the 2nd 1040X.

golferalan
Level 2

That's why they got the refund check. I didn't realize you couldn't make the change via a quick 1040x.

golferalan
Level 2

Thanks for your help. First time I have used this form of help.

Happy holidays and tax season. April 15 will be a quick deadline.