Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form 8915F

rcooley25
Level 11

I just got an email from Brian Christian at Intuit and he says this form will be in the software on March 24th. I dont know if I should believe him or is this just more BS from Intuit. What do all of you think.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

That was somewhat tongue-in-cheek.  You have to go back a couple of weeks to the first “fix” of estimate vouchers to be reassured that just because something is coming, it might not be quite what you were expecting 😬

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

25 Comments 25
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

I think Intuit is an honest company with dedicated employees and great leadership and this target date is real and the best estimate as of now. 

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

I have posted a time or two saying that I thought it would be ready before the 31st so that sounds reasonable.  But there are two questions:

1.  Will the form work?

2.  Since we are talking Intuit, what will they break once they fire the form up?

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I gave up waiting.  Those with refunds Im just completing the 8915F by hand and attaching as a PDF.  Create a 1099R with the same bank info as last year, with just the gross and taxable amounts  for 1/3 of the total distribution.  Done deal.   

Those that owe money, they dont care about waiting.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
rcooley25
Level 11

I am not happy waiting untill March 24th but it sure beats thwe hell out of March 31st.

rcooley25
Level 11

Hey Iron Man, I hope you are right, This is one time I dont mind being proven wrong.

0 Cheers
rcooley25
Level 11

Unfortunately I am not one of those who are computer savy enough to know how to attach a pdf.

0 Cheers
rcooley25
Level 11

Just curious as to why you are asking will it work when all of the other software that Intuit has that  have form 8915f  is working just fine. Do you really think that Lacerte will be working  fine and Proseries might not? AS you know like others I am not happy about how intuit has handled this but I have a hard time beleiving that they would do something like putting out a form that does not work.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

That was somewhat tongue-in-cheek.  You have to go back a couple of weeks to the first “fix” of estimate vouchers to be reassured that just because something is coming, it might not be quite what you were expecting 😬

Slava Ukraini!
JonathanV
Level 3

Have you noticed if any of the returns are getting held or flagged? Have any of the clients received their money? We are wanting to go this route as well, just a little nervous that it may cause their money to be delayed. After last year's tax season, with some returns taking 6 months or more, we are just hesitant to try it.

0 Cheers
rcooley25
Level 11

I agree. I am hoping that I could get the tax returns that need 8915F but I certainly dont want to do something that will delay processing. Lisa has said that she is doing this but I dont know how she is making out getting the returns processsed.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@qbteachmt  I know you posted on another thread the IRS info that the 8915F is going to arrive at IRS as an attached as a PDF regardless if we do it or the software does it...could you add that info to this thread?

0 Cheers
SuzieQ1
Level 3

This is what I was thinking of doing, but putting the amount on 'other income'. 

I wonder why Drake and Taxwise have the form but ProSeries is saying 'IRS has not finalized'. 

In Feb they said mid March and now I can't find a date. 

0 Cheers
rcooley25
Level 11

March 31st

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I think the IRS computers will be looking for that figure on the retirement income line (thats where other disaster distributions have landed the second and third years of reporting).

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

The topic discussing the concept of making it an attachment manually, is here:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-tax-discussions/discussion/8915-f-workaround/00/20...

In that, I posted directly from the IRS what the file name and description should be, and there is the discussion over which steps to take to bypass waiting for the program to do this for you.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15
"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
SuzieQ1
Level 3

Perfect... thank you

0 Cheers
JonathanV
Level 3

Just-Lisa-Now

When you fill out the 1099-R, what are you using as your distribution code?

0 Cheers
SuzieQ1
Level 3

I was going to use code 7, but I guess you could use code 1 and then back out the penalty with a 5329. 

0 Cheers
JonathanV
Level 3

I agree, I used code 7, manually filled out 8915F and then attached as a PDF.

I compared it to one generated by Drake Software just to make sure I didn't miss any line items.

0 Cheers
SuzieQ1
Level 3

We tried Drake one year, about 15 years ago.  The transition for 1500 clients was not smooth and we abandoned the switch.  

Maybe it is time to try it again.  They have probably gotten better at it- how was your transition? 

0 Cheers
JonathanV
Level 3

We haven't changed yet. A friend uses Drake at her office and she ran me a dummy client.

She recently changed from Lacerte to Drake and seems to like it. Most information can be imported, but the hardest part it just leaning the software and being efficient with time.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

"They have probably gotten better at it"

I don't believe it really has changed much since you last test drove it.  It's cheap and when you go cheap you kinda get the no frills version of software.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
rcooley25
Level 11

I haVEW BEEN USING CODE 2 EARLY WITHDRwl exception applies.

0 Cheers
lopezjoe
Level 1

Was the return accepted using that method?

0 Cheers