Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error e-filing prior year returns today

Jtax LLC
Level 3

I am trying to e-file a 2021 return and keep getting this error:

Status Status Date
Return Rejected 01/29/2024
Code: F1040-034-07
Form: 0(00) Form Copy:
Line #:
Description: 10295(/efile:Return/efile:ReturnData/efile:IRS1040/efile:WithholdingTaxAmt)
Error Detail:
Form 1040, 'WithholdingTaxAmt' must be equal to the sum of the following: [(1) all 'WithholdingAmt' in [OtherWithholdingStatement] and (2) all Forms W-2, 'WithholdingAmt' and (3) all Forms W-2G, 'FederalIncomeTaxWithheldAmt' and (4) Form 8959, 'AddlMedcrRRTTaxWithholdingAmt' and (5) 'TotalAmt' in [BackupWhSchedulesK1Statement] and (6) all Forms RRB 1042-S, 'FederalIncomeTaxWithheldAmt' and (7) all Forms SSA 1042-S, ('NetTaxWithheldAmt' if it has a non-zero value, otherwise 'FederalIncomeTaxWithheldAmt')] unless Form 8958 is present in the return. When evaluating this, a tolerance of $5.00 is allowed.
Error Resolution:
Review the amount that appears on Form 1040, Federal Income Tax Withheld From Forms W-2, 1099, etc.. This amount must be equal to the sum of federal tax withheld as shown on any of the following forms: Form W-2, Form W-2G, Form 8959, any Form 1099, Form RRB 1042-S, Form SSA 1042-S and any other source of withholding.

After making the necessary corrections, resubmit this file for electronic filing. If the reject continues you will need to print and file this return by mail.

I have gotten this same error on a 2022 return as well. I have installed all the updates.

42 Comments 42
StevenSEA
Level 2

I am having same issue/error on a 2022 Form 1040.  Only withholding is from several 1099-R's.  Primary taxpayer is deceased.  We are applying entire overpayment to estimates, so no 'refund' being generated.
I also have all updates completed.
Can you provide any details on your situation?

Level 2

I have the same error -2022, taxes due, 2 W2s, 2 1099-Rs - one 1099 has withholding, one does not. Very small additional medicare (<$25). 

I saw on a different thread from a few years ago that with multiple W2s for the same person, the 8959 calculation can get messed up and not feed correctly to the 1040 - but I calculated all numbers there - the medicare withheld on total wages is correct, and additional medicare flows to schedule 2 & 1040 appropriately. 

I also found this older article online: https://www.thomsonreuters.com/en-us/help/ultratax-cs/1040/1040-e-file-errors/f1040-034-07.html

StevenSEA
Level 2

Thanks for the ThomsonReuters link.  I will plan to paper file.  Ove an hour wait on ProSeries support toll-free line, and likely not a problem they can fix.  *Maybe* they'd have a workaround, but I'll spend another hour explaining it to them before I find out if there's a workaround.

Jamierac
Level 4

Same error message here,  has to be a software issue.  On with support now and will let them know its a global issue.  

Jamierac
Level 4

Give them time to fix it since its a global issue. It could have happened with a software update.  I will let them know many are experiencing the same issue

rbynaker
Level 13

Best bet might be to try a repair install for 2021.  Lisa tells me it's on the Windows menu for each year but that process was invented after I left.

0 Cheers
Level 2

Does your situation by chance involve a 1099-S/Cap gains/loss? Thats the only other thing I can think of - 

Jamierac
Level 4

Good idea. Tying that now.. but will keep you posted. Somehow I think it came via Intuit when we had to update all of our back year programs.  I think its a software issue. But running repair now.  Will let you know after I efile again in this link

Jamierac
Level 4

Ran repair and same reject  Will let support know.  This is definitely on their end.  I will let them know many are posting the same error, will stay on hold till they pick up or call tomorrow if I get cut off before they close at 9PM tonight.  That hopefully gets their attention. Wonder if the 2023 will have the same error.  Will bet its all software related.  Wish we could start a pool here!  

0 Cheers
jeromeburnett
Level 3

Having the same issue with three 2022 returns filed today.  Hoping its a software issue and not some new IRS reconciliation program.

rbynaker
Level 13

Per another source, the IRS updated their schema.  Intuit will need to patch prior years.

Jamierac
Level 4

Good post.  Where did you see this about the schema?

0 Cheers
Level 2
Jamierac
Level 4

Good job posting this.  Glad they are now aware of this.  

rbynaker
Level 13

@Jamierac wrote:

Good post.  Where did you see this about the schema?

On a private forum for Drake customers.  They released their patches for this last week.

sethalevincpa
Level 2

I'm having the same issue trying to file an amended 2022 1040.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

And you likely will until Intuit gets the prior year schemas fixed.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
imcpa
Level 2

Got the same reject error messages on a 2021 and 2022 individual income tax returns.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

@imcpa 

You did read the thread to understand that this is a schema issue that will continue UNTIL Intuit fixes and pushes out an update, right?

( Generic Comment )"
sethalevincpa
Level 2

has there been any word from Intuit that I may have missed as to confirming the fact they are working on it or have any kind of ETA?

Thanks

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
abctax55_0-1706635200652.png

Level 2

( Generic Comment )"
Jamierac
Level 4

They didn’t give a timeframe, but they were aware of the problem and are working on the patch for it

0 Cheers
imcpa
Level 2

I read and understood the previous posts. Wanted to post on this thread so I can get automated updates of any developments regardign this issue.

mg4
Level 2

Have same problem. Replying to be on the post notification list.

ljsmith2
Level 4

"Raised hand"...me too...

Thanks to all who researched this and passed on the information.

Hoping for a patch soon.

abctax55
Level 15

You can click on the three dots in the upper right of the question, and subscribe to any thread you'd like to follow with out the need to post.

( Generic Comment )"
Brianroe
Level 2

I was receiving this same error when trying to file a 2022 return.  I just ran an update and tried to e-file again and it looks like it went through.  It is showing received by Intuit.  It was previously rejecting before getting even that far.  

ivlabonne
Level 3

I am getting the same message.

imcpa
Level 2

I'm curious if the 2022 tax return you filed was accepted by the IRS

0 Cheers
ljsmith2
Level 4

After updating this morning both 2021 & 2022 were e-filed again.  As of 2:00 pm today, It shows as being sent to the IRS. This is good news since it never made it that far on the original try. I will post if/when it is accepted.

bmzanetti
Level 2

Unfortunately, mine still are at the status of sent to IRS... 3 days later.  In limbo 😞

0 Cheers
Glen
Level 2

Same for me.

0 Cheers
jeromeburnett
Level 3

We sent 3 previously rejected ones to Lacerte today.  All 3 were rejected again.  Apparently the fix had not occurred to Lacerte yet.

Glen
Level 2

As of 2/3/2024 at 2:00 AM EST, all of the 2021 & 2022 federal 1040s I e-filed through ProSeries have been accepted by the IRS, so it appears that this issue may now be resolved.

0 Cheers
ljsmith2
Level 4

Yes! After updating and running repair tool for both 2021 & 2022, mine also show acknowledgements.

They give the date of  1/31/24.

mg4
Level 2

I had two that have now been accepted. 

Thanks for updating.

Chessmaster1
Level 3

2020 tax return with proseries ? Iam getting this message.(54 e-file for this agency and filing type is longer available)

0 Cheers
ljsmith2
Level 4

Hi,

I saw a post that said this error could be due to software needing to be updated.

Try running both the "Tools-Repair Updates" found when clicking on ProSeries 2020 in the Start Menu,  and "Refresh Updates for Installed Products" in the software itself.

Hope it works!

bmzanetti
Level 2

You can no longer e-file 2020 returns, just 2021-2023

abctax55
Level 15

Efiling is *always* limited to the current year (2023 as of star date 2/8/24) and the two prior years (2022, 2021).

(*always* until the IRS changes the rules.... but it's been current + 2 prior for a long time)

( Generic Comment )"
Chessmaster1
Level 3

Thank you very much

0 Cheers
Chessmaster1
Level 3

Thank you

0 Cheers