Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EFTPS will require multi-factor Authentication

abctax55
Level 15

@Lisa Johnson 

This is a public forum, you should remove your email to avoid spam.

None of us volunteers/fellow software users are going to be emailing you; any answers/comments will come on this thread.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
Lisa Johnson
Level 2

So, you had to set up an account and then you can make payments for multiple accounts?

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Setup an ID.ME account and that should get you back in business.

Slava Ukraini!
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

yes

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I use my ID.Me account for logging into EServices and my PTIN account and uploading POA/8821s and TDS, I think all tax professionals should have one these days.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
dkh
Level 15

@Lisa Johnson    I created an account through login.gov  for my EFTPS access.  It took less than 2 minutes to create the account.  I could share this with an employee without any worries about personal information being compromised.

dkh
Level 15

@PATAX     I used the login.gov  for my EFTPS access.  It was super super easy to create an account.  

PATAX
Level 15

@dkh thanks for the information. I'll try to do that tomorrow as I have been up since 4:00 and I just ate two big pieces of pizza. So it's quitting time now and I'm going to take a nap.

PATAX
Level 15

I was able to register with id.me and send the clients 941 deposit EFTPS. No problem like Iron Man said, nice and easy. I initially tried with the login gov website. But when I entered the password, it said I already had an account with a different password. This must have been from eServices Efin or something from years ago. So I just backed out. Then set up the ID.me. I'm waiting now for another client to send me the information so I can see if it works for that client EFTPS.

PATAX
Level 15

Just wondering and no biggie but there are approximately 108 comments on this thread, but only 32 thumbs up which is obviously not correct. One would think that intuit would be able to add correctly considering their line of work.

klgoodwin61
Level 2

I decided to work on some quarterly payroll reports and was met with this mfa issue. I just clicked on ID.me and entered my firm's information and password. There was a question answer about allowing accessing the treasury dept with the ID.me. After answering yes, I was taken back to the same old screen where you enter EIN, PIN and password and I am working on client quarterly reports now. Not a big deal. Just sign up for ID.me and you're good to go.

PATAX
Level 15

@klgoodwin61 thanks for the information. Please come back and participate again. We need more tax pros helping on this forum. Thanks.

PATAX
Level 15

I just e-filed 941 deposit for another client so everything is working okay. Also a tax accountant on another forum mentioned that he was already registered for the login gov website before when he e filed a US Census report. I have e filed US census reports in the past also for clients so that is maybe why I was registered previously on login gov. 

Glenview
Level 1

I log in for my clients to schedule their payroll tax deposits.  I used my ID.me login when prompted for the EFTPS site, and agreed to allow my information to be shared with the IRS site.  Then it allowed me to login using my client's information to access their account.  I've only done this for one client, so I haven't checked to see if it remembers the login, or if it will allow me to access a different client each time I log in.  If you have an ID.me login, you may be able to access your clients' accounts..... Okay, I just tried to login to EFTPS again after closing out the webpage, and it didn't even send me to ID.me, just went straight to the EFTPS login, so it "remembered" me?  By the way, I won't use Login.gov because I recall they lied about services and charges to clients and were subject to a hearing on the matter back in March.

PATAX
Level 15

@Glenview when you hit make payment on the EFTPS first page, then you may have to sign in to id.me. which is no problem and real quick. Then it'll send you back to EFTPS. That's what it did with me and I believe with others.

BRandles
Level 1

I set up a login.gov account. It only took a few minutes. I just enter my phone number for texts for step  authentication. Once I logged in, then you get the regular screen to enter client log in informatin (EIN, PIN and  password). 

My question is simple:  Can we still make EFTPS payments using QuickBooks Desktop?  To be clear, I'm not asking about logging into EFTPS, I already have the required 'Login.gov' account.  Can I still use QB Desktop to send EFTPS payments?

sawas25
Level 3

Hi All,

You CAN make (1) login through login.gov and then be able to remit your clients taxes on EFTPS.gov. I just tried it.  I make deposits for clients monthly and was concerned each client had to have their own MFA login but NOT the case. I would also use the same broswer you use EFTPS.gov through that you setup login.gov with, it seemed to remember me (eftps.gov) and I didnt have to re login with login.gov info beforehand. 

Your welcome everyone 😎

IRonMaN
Level 15

"Your welcome everyone" ?????????

Unless those anvils are really starting to catch up with me quickly, hasn't that same basic information been posted several times in this post already?

Slava Ukraini!
sawas25
Level 3

Maybe it has maybe it hasnt. Some posts are full of a lot of info and some may find my post helpful too if in same boat as me. I hope you have a great day!

kathcobb
Level 1

I used the login.gov option with Google Authentication app and was through it in minutes.  No passports or driver license or cameras needed.

LorraineM
Level 2

This is what I'm trying to figure out as well.

I have done the same, super easy.  But many of our clients we've setup to pay EFTPS payments through QB Desktop, and I need to know if Intuit supports this ability still, do you know?

LorraineM
Level 2

Back then, you could run into the bank at 2:58pm on the due date and still have timely payment.  It was not a bad system.

LorraineM
Level 2

From what I'm reading, it only applies to users of the EFTPS website.  

So if you are paying through QBO Payroll, etc., the process hasn't changed except that now you will need to go on to EFTPS to change your password every 13 months.  

We have a few client's whose deposits we make through QBO, but most we make using EFTPS.  This is going to be a nightmare.

Well thanks, but I am specifically talking about Desktop , and not the online version.

LorraineM
Level 2

the thread I found on the QB discussion board just addressed the fact that passwords now expire every 13 months.  So there are now 2 new steps when your QB tax payment fails:

1.  go to EFTPS and change password

2. wait an hour, then log in to QB with new password.

But it doesn't mention needing the new MFA account in order to change EFTPS password, so I don't know.

PATAX
Level 15

@Don-at-BergChatfield does QuickBooks desktop have a technical support number that you can call?

ABMoneyMatters
Level 1

I am also new to this but I have been an EFTPS user for years.  I chose Login.gov to authenticate and all I had to do was provide a method of authentication.  I chose a text to my cell phone and a call to my land line as a a backup.  No photos, etc were required.

I also found a software to download from the EFTPS site - Go to Help & Information at the top of the page and look at Downloads.  Look at Documents for Batch Provider Software User Manual.  Go to Software to actually download the program.  I have not done this yet as the only client I did payroll for I recently fired for not getting me information in a timely manner.

Hope this helps!

KK16
Level 3

This is my issue to.  I make my clients EFTPS deposits weekly and monthly.  I was caught off guard this morning when I went to go make the tax deposits.  I don't know what to do because I have five different clients that I have to make the tax deposit for.  

0 Cheers
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

I can acess all my clients EFTPS accounts from my single, personal id.me account. 

KK16
Level 3

I called my tax payments in this morning using the phone method just like it was back in the day.  I took a little longer but was successful in doing it.  

PATAX
Level 15

@KK16 if all these different sites keep pushing and going overboard on this security MFA matter, then more people would turn to how it was done in the past. 

abctax55
Level 15

I don't know what to do

Multiple comments in this *long* thread about how to now do this:

id.me

login.gov

Call 'em in.

( Generic Comment )"
tlmckesson
Level 1

I just submitted EFTPS payments through QB Desktop (3 businesses) I had never done it thru

desktop - just went directly through EFTPS. the PIN and password were alreadyin place I just entered it into the epay setup. Just received confirmation its done and wa-la.

realitycheck
Level 1

The only feasible solution for my firm is to go back to phoning in EFTPS payments for our clients. It works fine, and I've created a pdf template for my employees to type in the information for the call including the confirmation number.

I do not want each of my employees (and/or myself) to create a login using their personal information since we are a corporation. Corporate accounts requiring personal information are a big accounting no-no.

Love2Cruise
Level 4

I logged in with my I.D. Me account and voila! Once I entered my credentials, it automatically sent me back to the EFTPS site. Setting up a new account with the other sites is just too much right now. I don't have time for all the additional steps. Especially since they didn't send out any official notifications and I need to make some payments today and Monday. I also plan to set up the e-file payments directly through QuickBooks Desktop for my employer and my church! 

LorraineM
Level 2

Login.gov literally only asked for my work email and a phone number; not even my name.🤔

For multi factor authentication, I had a choice between texting a code to my cell, printing out a list of single use codes, and a list of other options that I can't remember.  I set up to text to my cell and printed a list of single use codes for our office manager to access with my permission if I am sick or otherwise unexpectedly out of the office (or I forget my phone at home).  

I will be creating an id.me account so I can see my personal tax transcripts, etc., but I have no intention of using that account for work related access like paying client taxes.

realitycheck
Level 1

Thanks so much for that! When I researched it said it required a lot of personal info. I just set up the Login.gov account for our corp with literally no personal info and used our office text phone for verifications. This should be posted as THE SOLUTION.

PATAX
Level 15

@realitycheck here is a reality check, and don't take this the wrong way please, but if you want the solution that you want, then you can go start your own op thread and choose that for your solution. There's a multitude of posts on this subject.

abctax55
Level 15

Dan... as the OP, do you have the ability to lock this thread?  It's getting a bit cumbersome & is obviously showing up in searches for non-tax pro's

edit - added:

@IntuitGabi 

( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

I don't think he has those powers, but I would vote for his last post to be the best answer in this string 😁

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@abctax55 Anna, I checked and it doesn't look like I can do that. But if Gabi at Intuit wants to do that then that is fine with me. There are many comments on this matter, and people should read through all of them and make their own decision.

IRonMaN
Level 15

"and people should read through all of them and make their own decision."

Based on the history of this place, I am waiting for page 4 to be generated and have someone ask if you have found a solution yet.................................... a lot of folks visiting here do not like to read 😀

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

".... a lot of folks visiting here do not like to read"

Comprehension can be a bit of an issue, too. 😉

( Generic Comment )"
JBark2011
Level 1

To call in, all they ask for is the EIN and PIN (same one used to log into EFTPS online) 
I just had to use this method to pay a few clients deposits a couple days ago

PATAX
Level 15

People should closely read all of the posts and comments, and make their own decision.