Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E Filing Amended Return 2021

mmccreary
Level 1

I've read through all the other discussions on this and I haven't found the answer I'm looking for.  Here's what I have.

Client original 1040 filed electronically by someone else.  I duplicated the return exactly as it was. Saved it.

Now have clicked on form 1040X marked 2021 - this is fine.  

Made changes to return to correct errors and omissions from original.  Clicked box to file amended electronically and the box under stating original file was successfully efiled.  Saved as a new file. 

Error comes up cannot efile Amended return when electronic filing of return is not marked in Part VI.  When I mark this it changes from Amended to Federal return. Which isn't right because it was already filed and get a rejected when I try to efile.

Went to EF and it won't electronically file as long as there is an error in the return if I leave the box unchecked .  I've done this over and over 4 times now - really frustrated.  Can someone help??  I've followed step by step and still can't resolve this.  Taxpayer has paid original amount due on original return, everything completed with it.  Help, help, help. Amended returns need to be easier than this merry go round! I do a lot of these through out the year, and I do not want to fight this program every time if there isn't a good way to accomplish the job

0 Cheers
19 Comments 19
BobKamman
Level 15

It's likely to take six months to a year to process the 1040-X whether paper filed or transferred to IRS in a totally different system from what you think of as "electronic" filing, so why make it hard on yourself?  Unless it's 50 pages.  The cost of paper has increased.  

0 Cheers
taxes96786
Level 9

Did you get an acknowledgement for the amended return?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
So many people have this problem, I dont understand what people are doing wrong, Ive never had this issue.

The only thing I see is that might be screwing it up, people save the amended as a copy (I never do this), you need to original and the amended to be the same file.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
mmccreary
Level 1

I'm truing to avoid the paper hassle as much as possible.....and why offer efiling of amended returns if it doesn't work?

0 Cheers
mmccreary
Level 1

No it won't let me file - it either keeps asking me for some code, or it tells me it isn't ready to file.  I guess I will be calling customer service to see if they can walk me thru it.

0 Cheers
mmccreary
Level 1

Well, that's a start for me....I will go back and try whole thing again and see what I can get accomplished

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
And don't try and EF from within the client file, go to the EFCenter and you should see the return in Pending with the Return Type showing Federal Amended.

DavidC1
Level 1

I am having similar problems e-filing amended returns and I'm not arguing at all I just don't understand because in the instructions it specifically tells you save as under another file name but work off the original.

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/amend-tax-return/help/how-do-i-amend-an-individual-return-us...

I understand this is 2020 but I do not see anything for 2021.

0 Cheers
Steve E
Level 2

Was the originally filed return extended? If an extension was filed you can submit super-ceding returns up until the extended due date. A super-ceding return replaces the return submitted before it without the hassle of filing an amended return. 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I dont know why it tells you to make a copy, its wrong, you dont need program data file for it. Print a copy or save to PDF, then just use the client computer file you EF originally.

Open the original file and activate the 1040X (CTRL + F type X and it will pop up in the list of forms), mark the year box at the top to "activate" it.

Now go over to the state return (if applicable) and activate its amended form.

Now go back to the federal and make the changes, type the explanation of changes on the 1040X, go to the Federal Info Worksheet and mark the EF box for Amended return.

Now go to the EF PIN date box and enter todays date (it will still have the date from the original EFing, you need to change that or it will reject)

Then go over to the state return and make sure its amended return is completed as well.

Save and exit to the EFCenter and you should see the client file in the Pending Tab with the return type as Federal Amended, highlight it and hit the EFNow button on the toolbar...I usually Convert alone to make sure the file will convert, then I go back and Transmit, but you can do both at once.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
You cant EFile a superseding return using ProSeries.

DavidC1
Level 1

Thank you Lisa, I will try that right now, only other question I have is that it the original problem was with a missed a state withholding figure so it only changed that state return.  Should I e-file both amended or just the state? 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If you're only amending the state, you dont need to amend the federal.....is your state one that the amended can be EFiled?

0 Cheers
DavidC1
Level 1

Yes, NY. I just wasn't sure because the corrected information was entered on the 1099R on the federal side, but I guess they would receive the correct information regardless of my amended federal or not.

0 Cheers
david3
Level 7

Thank you, Lisa. 

I read your response. I too followed the PS instructions and saved a copy. I only saw this thread after I started seeing things that don't look correct after I amended returns following the PS instructions. I made the amended changes per the PS instructions and, as you suggested, in the original file for both the federal and Colorado returns.

The amended return displays as Federal amended and CO amended in the Pending EF Center Return Type. However, the EF Center shows the eSignature Status as completed and the Amended Return column shows "Marked for EF".

However, the original saved copy also appears in the Pending tab of the EF Center and the eSignature Status says "Not Started"  and allows me to request eSignature. This seems backwards since the request eSignature option isn't allowed for the amended returns. The eSignature status for the saved copy says "Not Started". The Return column also says "Marked for EF". 

Are we not allowed to send amended returns for eSignature? If we are able to then how do we do that since the "Request" option isn't available?

Also, the EF Status for the copy file and the amended returns shows "Duplicate SSN/EIN". I remember that I wasn't able to e-file returns in the past when duplicate SSNs were shown.

Will I have a problem e-filing the amended returns with the duplicate SSN?

Thank you for your help.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I have no clue how ESig works, sorry. Be sure you unchecked the EF boxes on the copy of the returns that youre NOT amending, or you'll have a duplicate EF message in the EFCenter.

david3
Level 7

Thanks, Lisa.

I guess I'll send the amended returns old school to the client for signatures.

Thanks for the tip to unmark e-file for the copy that's not being filed. That got rid of the duplicate SSN message.

0 Cheers
Marjorie S
Level 3

I Must e file or NY will not accept it

0 Cheers
slbennett
Level 1

I'm having the same issue on a rejected amendment. When I try to correct the reject it's doing the same thing as yours and won't let me file the amended return.

I've been referred to the procedure like 10 times and it doesn't have an answer for this.

Any ideas?

0 Cheers