Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Created a custom view with & and now getting an error and can't delete - Help!

LoriBob
Level 2

I created a custom view in Pro Series and didn't realize & was not an accepted character.

I have tried deleting the view many times and it will not go away...although I think it is a ghost because when I do click on it there is no status associated with the view.

When I click on the view (or scroll to it) I get an error and end up having to go to task manager to close the program completely.  I have tried restarting my computer but it is still there and causing the error.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Intuit_hieu
Employee
Employee

The easiest way to fix is rename the file 'CustomViews.xml' from your c:\prowin21\homebase folder to something like 'CustomViews.xml.bad'

explorer_zl2fJcGivS.png

On  next launch of ProSeries, the program will re-create the file.

For advance, you could open the above CustomViews.xml in notepad, search for the view with '&' character in the CAPTION. Note the '&' character will show up in the file as '&'. Replace/remove it. 

vUU7oiBW4x.png

You should be able to relaunch ProSeries after.

I'll enter a defect and hopefully to have it fix in future release. Thanks for using ProSeries!

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I guess you cant edit it and change the name either.

@Intuit_hieu I think this may be your area of expertise, any suggestions?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
LoriBob
Level 2

It acts as if I can edit/change the name but the save doesn't take.

0 Cheers
Intuit_hieu
Employee
Employee

The easiest way to fix is rename the file 'CustomViews.xml' from your c:\prowin21\homebase folder to something like 'CustomViews.xml.bad'

explorer_zl2fJcGivS.png

On  next launch of ProSeries, the program will re-create the file.

For advance, you could open the above CustomViews.xml in notepad, search for the view with '&' character in the CAPTION. Note the '&' character will show up in the file as '&'. Replace/remove it. 

vUU7oiBW4x.png

You should be able to relaunch ProSeries after.

I'll enter a defect and hopefully to have it fix in future release. Thanks for using ProSeries!

LoriBob
Level 2

This works.  Thank you so much!