Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advise! Social Security and Name not a match but IRS accepted it

JudyB
Level 3

A 17 yr old filed taxes and Put the first name he "wants" to be called and social security # of his given name.  The IRS accepted this return.  Child stated that he was a dependent on parents return. 

Parents take him as dependent on their return and we filed with the correct name, and parents return was rejected because SS number has been used. 

So I am to:

Amend kid's return with the correct name ? Even though it has been accepted? I say yes, but that does not mean much; hence, my reaching out.  Will have to go by paper return, as it involves Social security ( That is what I understand)

Then when that goes through send parent's return in as is with correct name/social Security match ? 

Thanks in advance. 

Judy

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

the problem is not in his name.  It's in his SSN.  I suspect that the 17 filed his own taxes, and claimed himself on that return, not knowing he did not need to do that.  try to get a copy of that 17 yr old super genius's return, and I would almost guarantee that is what has happened.  if that is the case, then;

1) file an amended return for the 17 yr old tax pro, and change to where he IS claimed by someone else.  Unless he made a ton of money, should not change his refund one bit.

2), then wait...and wait..and wait a little more, and then paper file the parents return with the explanation of what happened and the child's return has been amended to reflect being claimed by the parents.

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

IRS doesn't cross match "first" names at all, so that's not the problem. 

I think @dd4vols explanation is what has happened....common problem with dependent teenagers that file their own return.

I tell my clients to have their kid bring the W2 to me and I'll file it for pretty cheap, just to avoid this situation, its going to hang up mom and dads refund for a looong time.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
JudyB
Level 3

Thank you but i have a copy of the return and the boy checked that he was claimed a dependent on another return” 

so my question stands as to correction 

thanks 

judy

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

The IRS only uses the first four letters of last name, and the SS number when first receiving a efiled return. If they match their records then they will accept the return, unless some other issue is incorrect on the return.

BobKamman
Level 15

Was the son's return e-filed, or paper filed?  If paper, IRS might not have noticed the box that was checked.  If electronic, are you sure the copy you have is how it was filed?  Does claiming himself make a difference in his tax?  Have you checked whether the refund he received, matches what is shown on the copy?  

As others have said, first name makes no difference.  I don't file using the first name on my SS card.  

JudyB
Level 3

I appreciate everyone’s comments.

I have copy of the return boy efiled with TurboTax. all checks out. He received his refund which matched the return. my point is that I need to file parents return which was rejected because SS number already used. They are eligible for additional credits with the dependent. 
should I change the first name in parents return to match the already accepted boy’s return and file?

thank you 

Judy

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

"should I change the first name in parents return to match the already accepted boy’s return and file"

The first name doesnt make a difference, sounds like the boy didnt mark that he could be claimed as a dependent....look at the kids 1040, is this box checked?  

At any rate the parents return will need to be filed on paper, you wont get it accepted electronically.

claimasdep.png

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪