Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2020 ProSeries Form 706

wywe_ask
Level 1

I have a client that died in March 2020 with the Form 706 due in December but the 2020 form 706 is not available yet?  any information on how to speed up the process of getting the software sooner as I HAVE to use the 2020 form to prepare for a 2020 death?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Like @IRonMaN said, just file an extension. From IRS:

You must file Form 706 to report estate and/or GST tax within 9 months after the date of the decedent's death. If you are unable to file Form 706 by the due date, you may receive an extension of time to file. Use Form 4768, Application for Extension of Time To File a Return and/or Pay U.S. Estate (and Generation-Skipping Transfer) Taxes, to apply for an automatic 6-month extension of time to file.

View solution in original post

8 Comments 8
IRonMaN
Level 15

"any information on how to speed up the process of getting the software sooner"

Maybe if you call support and tell them that you really need it sooner they will release it to you earlier than scheduled ----------------------- or maybe not.  

If they don't release it soon enough you have to move to plan B, or maybe even plan C.  Extend the return or manually prepare it.

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

FWIW the 2019 version of the 706 shows that it was released in November (lots of return types showed that Nov date, and still werent available, so Im not sure how reliable that is), but the first update didnt show up until March and the final update of it not until April, so dont hold your breath for a working copy of the 2020 Form 706 before year end.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
dkh
Level 15

The IRS Form 706 isn't year specific so you could download pdf to manually complete and mail in now.

Disclaimer--- I know nothing about this form.   I just looked it up to see what you're situation was.  I may be all wrong.

Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Like @IRonMaN said, just file an extension. From IRS:

You must file Form 706 to report estate and/or GST tax within 9 months after the date of the decedent's death. If you are unable to file Form 706 by the due date, you may receive an extension of time to file. Use Form 4768, Application for Extension of Time To File a Return and/or Pay U.S. Estate (and Generation-Skipping Transfer) Taxes, to apply for an automatic 6-month extension of time to file.

sjrcpa
Level 15

It is date specific in that it is for decedents dying after xxx date. The 2020 form will be different than 2019 because of the exemption difference.

Ex-AllStar
taylor
Level 2

Clearly anyone who thinks that simply applying for an extension has never filed a complex Federal Estate Tax Return.  Many returns end up being hundreds of pages long with tax liability, not extended, that may be in the hundreds of thousands or millions.   The problem is that the software updates need to be ready for estate tax returns based not on the due date but the date of death.  My office usually starts entering information into the return within the first 3 months after death.

The software my office used before changing was capable of doing this.  Maybe those of use who file Form 706 should understand that Intuit only prepares Form 706 if you die later in the year. 

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

The software my office used before changing was capable of doing this

Lacerte isn't. Maybe you should go back to that software. We are just users like you and cannot do anything about this.

Ex-AllStar
sjrcpa
Level 15