Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099 NEC

chenschuh
Level 3

A high school kid ref for hockey, received 1099 nec from school for 1400. I put it as other income.

Standard deduction become 1250, taxable income become 150.  She has to pay tax for that income.  Doesn't seems right?

0 Cheers
8 Comments 8
dascpa
Level 11

If an NEC and she performed services why would it be other income? It should be on a Schedule C subject to self-employment tax.  Should have been a W-2 but most schools today seem to do it as a 1099-NEC.

And why isn't it right that she pays tax.  I pay tax, so do you. She performed services for a price. Life lesson learned.

cclark
Level 3

I have done several high school and college kids who have an internship or ref football or basketball. I just put it as other income because it is not a business. I have never had any issues with the IRS coming back to the client and saying it's a business. Most likely they will owe tax on the other income as well.

0 Cheers
dascpa
Level 11

Not a business - so everyone who does a one-off service gets out of self-employment tax? 

The issue is was it for services rendered, not whether it's a business.

If I receive a commission/referral fee from my realtor for referring a client, a commission is a Sch C item but I'm not in the business of referring clients so it's other income not subject to SE tax.

For $1,400 at probably minimum wage this person worked ~ 100 hours. That's self-employment income.

BobKamman
Level 15

When my kids were still in school the refs were adults and paid in cash.  No 1099 involved, so most probably did not pay tax on it.  Which means kids these days must also contribute to Social Security.

She refs at only one school?  So no mileage costs?  Didn't have to buy uniforms or whistles?  Rule books?  

IRonMaN
Level 15

I had one just last week with a kid being a ref.  Parents were prepared and came in with a list of expenses

Slava Ukraini!
chenschuh
Level 3

I put it as other income because this is one time deal. If he continue to do it next year, then it become a business, I would use schedule c.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

They pay kids really good money where you are at if $1400 is a one time deal.  That would be a lot of deals around here.

Slava Ukraini!
chenschuh
Level 3

Funny I have never noticed that with other income the standard deduction is the same as unearned income. Only when it's in schedule c, it's treated as earned income for standard deduction.

0 Cheers