Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PTIN Registration

HOPE2
Level 8

Hi to all. What states should my PTIN be registered for E-File like NY? I am not CPA nor EA.

How about Maryland, Oregon, Connecticut and Iowa? This year, I have some from these states.

Thanks in Advance for assistance!

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15
14 Comments 14
IRonMaN
Level 15

The PTIN is an IRS thingy.  You have to check the rules for individual states to see what requirements they may have.

Slava Ukraini!
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

You'll have to check the specific requirements, but Md does require Tax preparer registration.

Registration Requirements - Maryland Board of Individual Tax Preparers - Division of Occupational an...

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
HOPE2
Level 8

Should I check 50 states???????!!!!!

I called Proseries unfortunately they did not know, it is so unacceptable that Intuit company does not have a list of states which should PTIN be registered. Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!

0 Cheers
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

Clarification

Thingy is defined as ... "all non-essential, superfluous, and pointless tax code, regulation, forms, and procedures developed by and/or instituted by any taxing authority for the purpose of irritating, aggravating, annoying, and creating more work for tax preparers, 

HOPE2
Level 8

I can not understand your words sorry about that.

I need a list of some states which PTIN should be registered I do not need a romantic book. Time is short.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

"I called Proseries unfortunately they did not know, it is so unacceptable that Intuit company does not have a list of states which should PTIN be registered. Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!"

ProSeries provides software.  It isn't the all knowing Wizard of Oz for all things tax related.  Check the requirements for the states that you think you might be working with and go from there.

Slava Ukraini!
IRonMaN
Level 15

By the way, Google is a good friend to have:

https://tax.thomsonreuters.com/en/insights/articles/how-to-become-a-tax-preparer

Slava Ukraini!
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

I would only check the states I expect to prepare returns for. Intuit doesn't get involved disseminating individual state registration requirements.  They do, however, have a field in preparer setup when there's a requirement (such as in NY) to include a state specific registration no. 

IMO, paid tax preparers should research regulation for each state in which they will prepare returns 

HOPE2
Level 8

IMO? What is this.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

IMO = in my opinion

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I know NY is one that wants everyone to have a preparer registration number....CA only has something special if you work IN California.   

I saw something about Oregon changing their requirements, and out of state preparers may need something special, but I "think" thats only if you solicit yourself to OR residents...all my OR clients came to me originally as  CA residents first, then moved at some point, I dont solicit to anyone outside of the state of CA.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
HOPE2
Level 8

Thanks a lot. Last year I E-filed for Nevada without registration?!! But Nevada was on Google list.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

NV doesnt have state income taxes...what gets filed in NV?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
HOPE2
Level 8

I confused, you are right like always.

0 Cheers