Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PS Professional: Can't repair client file and having issues with all the others after a hard restart

kdaglobal
Level 3
Was working on a client when I had to do a hard restart b/c another program froze up my computer.
Now, when I try to open this same client file, I get the following message "Unable to read the data. Exit program and try again. Error code: [120].

I have run PS Tools - Repair Updates, downloaded PS Tool Hub, tried to restore the file and nothing is working.

Also have developed another problem.  When I open any other client file, when I close it, I get the following error: "Unable to delete automatically generated client recovery file."

Called help but after the CSR went through all of the steps I already did plus a couple more, I am still stuck.

Can a system engineer help me?
0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
IRonMaN
Level 15

Unless you had the month of February invested in working on that client file, I would just delete the file, reboot my computer and start from scratch.

Slava Ukraini!
kdaglobal
Level 3

Already rebooted and still have the second error message on all of the other client files.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Kristin,

Ive added the link to this post from the area I reported it, hopefully a Mod or engineer will reach out soon!

You tried all the options in the tool hub, right?  The Corruption Repair Utility?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
kdaglobal
Level 3

HI Lisa - thanks so much.  Yep, tried the repair tool and all of the options in the tool hub. Nothing helped. I'm wondering if I just have to do a reinstall of the program.

Now the "Unable to delete automatically generated client recovery file" is popping up when I work on clients.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

does the file still save?   or are you unable to work?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
kdaglobal
Level 3

I am able to work so that is good. I am just so nervous that I am going to do a bunch of work and then those files will get corrupted in some way.

Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

“Unable to delete automatically generated client recovery file."  Sounds like they’re referring to the automatic recovery system in use when your working on a file… it failed or got corrupted.

Tried updating? If all else fails uninstall/reboot/reinstall … copy your client files to another directory first… it’s the weekend… not likely you’ll get a reply from developers til Monday. If you have a solid backup of your files you won’t lose any data… over the years, I’ve resorted to this a few times 

one other thought… after rebooting, during the reinstallation process, check task manager to be sure that no PS services are running that may be hiding in startup.

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround