Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IRS Confirmation Letter

cpa72
Level 3

All:

How can I get a letter from the IRS confirming a business client's name and tax id#

Thank you for your assistance,

0 Cheers
8 Comments 8
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

The internet says this, but if you call, be sure youve got a POA or have the client call, they wouldnt help me with that stupid 4 letter name control thing on a trust without a POA.

The easiest way to get a copy of an EIN verification letter is to call the IRS. Follow the below process to obtain a tax ID verification letter from the IRS:

• Call the IRS support at 800-829-4933.
  • Provide the name of your business and other verification details like address and phone number to the support executive.
  • Request the support executive for a 147c letter; placing such a request is free.
  • If your contact information is the same as what you provided when applying for the EIN, the IRS can send you the verification letter through mail or fax.
  • If your contact information has changed, you can receive the verification letter only after you file Form 8822.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
PATAX
Level 15

Check file for original letter or ask client. Always a good idea to save these.

sjrcpa
Level 15

True Captain Obvious. 😀

Unless I applied for the EIN I'm not likely to have it.

Clients lose these. Or can't be bothered to look for it.

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

All of my clients save theirs ———but none of them seem to remember where.  Of course within a week most of my clients don’t seem to recall where they put their tax return either.😳

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

Smh... that's like an individual losing his birth certificate

IRonMaN
Level 15

I seem to have lost mine.  I think my folks gave me a copy of it the day after the hospital released me after my birth but for the life of me I don't remember where I put it.

Slava Ukraini!
sjrcpa
Level 15

I do not know where my birth certificate is.

Ex-AllStar
taxes96786
Level 9

No copy of prior year return? Is this a new client? Their accounting department should have the information.

If this client can't provide this information to you, fire him. It is not your job to do his/her work.