Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ProSeries Software Error last Spring on the Q1 Electronic Funds Withdrwal

TxLaine
Level 3

Did anyone else here experience the issue last year where the Intuit was temporarily not correctly transmitting the Q1 estimated payments that were scheduled for automatic funds withdrawal? (For returns that were e-filed prior to 4/15/21).

I have five or so clients who elected for electronic withdrawal, but there was an issue where somehow (probably due to the May filing deadline) the software messed it up and doubled the Q2 payment and had Q1 set to $0 (even though all showed up correctly on the user end). Thus, no payment was withdrawn as scheduled for Q1. We ended up having to jump online and pay the Q1 payment for the client, but this was the first week of May when it was realized, so now the clients are assessed some small underpayment penalties for being a couple weeks late.

Just curious if there is a waiver or way out of the penalties in this case...

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
yes, was a huge ordeal last year. I had to go in and check what actually got scheduled for multiple clients and then make payments on the IRS and state website for those that didnt get posted correctly...a seriously huge mess.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
TxLaine
Level 3

So, where a penalty is being calculated now on the 2021 return, I'm inclined to request a waiver. But what to write on the Explanation Statement exactly. Anyone think the IRS will grant the waiver??

0 Cheers