Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ProSeries 1040X

jgassler
Level 3

I am filing an amended 2021 1040 for a child whose mother filed for him and said he wasn't a dependent.  I have prepared the amended return like have a dozen or so others, but this one rejects with a message that the "1040X must be present in the return."  In the Homebase, the amended return column shows "Marked for EF".  

Can anyone suggest something to get this return filed?  I don't want to wait for a paper return.  The parents' return is holding waiting for this amended return to process.

Thanks for your advice.

Jim

0 Cheers
10 Comments 10
BobKamman
Level 15

Whether electronic or paper, amended returns can take six months or longer to process.  I think you're looking at paper returns for both parents and child.  Maybe they will learn something from that.  

PATAX
Level 15

That's why I try to do both parents and children returns so issues like this don't happen.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Does making this change, change the tax liability of the return? Do any numbers show on the front of the 1040X?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Tell us your secret for controlling your clients who are parents of college kids they can't control.  

0 Cheers
jgassler
Level 3

Thanks for the response Lisa.  The only numerical change on the return was the decrease in the standard deduction.  The first time I filed the taxable income went from a big negative to about $300 negative.  There was no change in tax.  The second time, I  removed the refund of the withholding from the original return so there would be refund due.  I got the same message.  I'm thinking you may have hit the answer.  Since there was no change in tax, the system thinks the return does not need to be filed.  Are you thinking there's no way to file this return electronically because ther won't be a change in tax liability?

Thanks for your insight.

0 Cheers
ljr
Level 8

If they insist they want to do the child's return (or the child wants to do it) I stress 2 things - they make sure to check off the dependent and that they should try to file before the kid. and I also tell them how much it will cost them for me to fix it afterwards which is much more than if the just let me file the kid return to begin with. 

jgassler
Level 3

I understand all of that.  This was a case of Mom being helpful and using Turbotax to do the return for the 15 year old to get his refund quickly.  

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Does the front page have numbers in all 3 columns? This is happening for people often, so Im just wondering if it doesnt recognize the 1040X is in the return if the income/liability doesnt change at all....what happens if you add $1 in interest or something to make all the columns populate figures?

0 Cheers
jgassler
Level 3

There are numbers in all three columns.  However, there is no change in taxable income.  it's zero all across.  There's no tax before or after amendment.  That's why I tried to take out the refund already received.  I was hoping it would process but get adjusted by IRS because they had already sent the refund.  I would have to add $351 of income to get a taxable income change.  I'm not sure that would even process.  I think I need a change in tax. I suppose I could put in enough to create $1 of tax and see what happens.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Well, if youve got figures in all 3 columns, then that kind of throws my theory out......Is there withholding that could be changed by $1 to make the outcome different?

Lots of people end up with this same message you are seeing, but Ive never seen the solution besides mailing it in.

0 Cheers