Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Program Error - "Employees" CAN delete tax returns accidentally!!!

For many years we've had it set up that I am the only administrator and only one that can delete returns.

Today one of the employees, that has been in the system for many years with limited access, and continues to show "Employee" status deleted 3 returns by accident and the program allowed it.

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
dkh
Level 15

That is unfortunate.  Were you able to recover the files from a backup?   

Also, Curious to know what was the employee trying to do that resulted in files being deleted.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Im not sure how it works on a network, but when I delete a file it lands in the Windows Recycle Bin.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
IRonMaN
Level 15

I'm with the flower lady and really curious how someone can "accidentally" delete three returns.  I don't think I will be able to sleep tonight until I find out how they could do that.

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

@IRonMaN  Maybe the employee really liked the clients and thought they were being marked as "Delightful"

IRonMaN
Level 15

That works for me 😀

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers

In a server/networked environment, deleted proseries files don't end up in the recycle bin, they are just gone.

We do maintain backups, and were able to restore the files.

The employee was searching for a client name using the homebase search function, and mistyped the name. Employee hit the delete button instead of backspace which deleted the highlighted client file, instead of deleting the letters in the search bar.

After testing our employees, all of which have identical "Employee" level access, 2 of the 3 are able to delete client files and the 3rd is not. So the access function is giving inconsistent results.

0 Cheers
IntuitEric
Employee
Employee

In ProSeries, Manage Users for employees has two settings... Admin and Employee. The only difference between these settings is that the Admin can invite or remove users for the ProSeries program. Otherwise they behave the same while in the ProSeries program.

This means an employee can delete client files by design.

If you want to restrict what different users can do in the ProSeries program, you'll want to enable Access Rights (under Tools / Users & Access Rights) to assign Roles which control user access.