Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing Incomplete 1040 Form

taxpro2000
Level 3

Yesterday, I printed a 1040 (just that 2-page form, not complete return) for a client under extension. Today, I cannot print that same form. Customer service (after 1 1/2 hours of troubleshooting, uninstalling ProSeries 2022 & reinstalling, etc) informs me that the form is incomplete & that is why it doesn't print...but it printed yesterday & nothing has changed on my end...I've not made any changes to it. The same issue is occurring for all clients that have a majority, but not all, data entered. However, I can print returns that have no 2022 data entry done yet (just carryforward data from 2021) & are certainly incomplete. Plus, I can print state forms for these same clients...it is just the 1040 that doesn't print.

PS Customer Support's suggested solutions at this point is to 1) complete the return & see if the issue goes away or 2) complete delete the 2022 data file, transfer them again from 2021 & re-enter all of their 2022 data again. I don't want to take the time to complete the return if I'm just going to have to delete it & start over again. On the other hand, I don't want to delete & re-enter it if I don't have to.

Has anyone else experienced  this issue? It makes no sense that I was able to print the form yesterday but can't today unless ProSeries made a behind-the-scenes update or my files (but only ones that are in process) are corrupted.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
dkh
Level 15

By chance is the return  Locked .   Don't think it would prevent the 1040 from printing....just throwing out ideas.

Have you tried printing the 1040 from  File copy and/or Client copy and/or Preparer Copy ?  

BWT - don't know why I got "bleeped" in previous post....nothing offensive typed.

View solution in original post

10 Comments 10
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

It wont print if you don't have an SSN on the return.  If MFJ you need a SSN for both people.  Could that be the problem?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

Client under extension would imply SSNs were input.  Have you tried printing to file [pdf)? 

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
dkh
Level 15

Wonder if it has something to do with the extension. Did you print the 1040 **bleep** while waiting on an extension acknowledgements. Has the extension acknowledgement been received ?   

taxpro2000
Level 3

Yes, SSNs input

0 Cheers
taxpro2000
Level 3

Yes, a pop up box appears with an Adobe Acrobat error code…customer service saw the error code but that didn’t help solve it. 

0 Cheers
taxpro2000
Level 3

No, return being worked on in anticipation of extension, but extension not yet filed. 

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

By chance is the return  Locked .   Don't think it would prevent the 1040 from printing....just throwing out ideas.

Have you tried printing the 1040 from  File copy and/or Client copy and/or Preparer Copy ?  

BWT - don't know why I got "bleeped" in previous post....nothing offensive typed.

taxpro2000
Level 3

The return isn't locked. We tried the preparer copy & client copy yesterday...didn't work. But, I tried the file copy today & that does print...that really doesn't make sense because the file copy should be the last one that prints if the return is incomplete - lol...but I at least have a work-around now. Thanks for keeping the suggestions rolling & helping me out!

dkh
Level 15
You're welcome.

I am having a similar issue to the original poster. When trying to print the filing copy, the state return prints just fine but the 1040 return is not printing correctly. It does not print any of the words or figures on the form, just the shaded boxes. I printed to pdf then tried to print the pdf and same result. However, I printed a pdf from 4/3/24 and it printed just fine. I tried the suggestions in the thread, checked no on SR box, printed client and preparer copy, nothing is working. Please help!

0 Cheers