Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing draft forms

FarmerCPA
Level 3

Is there a way around not being able to print forms that have not been finalized yet?  I'm located in Maryland and most of the state forms are showing finalization dates of 2/4 and 2/10.  I feel like my hands are tied if I can't even print a draft form with a watermark as I have in previous years. 

34 Comments 34
hankinstax
Level 5

I am in Alabama.  I spent 45 minutes on line with support reference the same issue.  They could not provide any type of answer other than to try every trick in the book on my computer.  They do not have an answer while my competition is completing/filing returns.  Are you familiar with the technical term S O L.

FarmerCPA
Level 3

I feared that was the case!  I am very familiar with SOL after ProSeries delays for the past several years!  Haha.  Thanks for giving my misery some company, anyway.

PATAX
Level 15

@FarmerCPA @hankinstax have had similar issue in Pennsylvania with local wage tax return for years, where it prints on the form "do not  file" or something similar. I just put lines through it and have the client mail it and they accept it. Not sure if it is happening this year again. Don't let the stuff bother you. With my covid-19 and other nonsense, I've been having chest pressure now. Too much crap anymore from all sides.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@PATAX wrote:

where it prints on the form "do not  file" or something similar.

The problem is that the software won't print the forms AT ALL.  The developers really have no idea what customers need.

FarmerCPA
Level 3

Bingo. I’d be happy to accept a watermark at this point. It’s nuts.

ftooth
Level 2

It's not just the one form that won't print, it's the entire state tax return won't print.

FarmerCPA
Level 3

Update:  Called Intuit support.  Representative could not possibly have cared less (surprise).  I emailed the President of Intuit's office.  Have received three replies that I'm being forwarded to the appropriate department.  Received a call from the...wait for it...QuickBooks Online payroll division.  Am I on Candid Camera?

PATAX
Level 15

@FarmerCPA 👍@What a joke... I gave up calling them a long time ago, I'm already high wired and I don't need more voltage...🐕

mdtao31
Level 7

"cannot print md state" filed 1040 & md yesterday.both were accepted

it let me print the 1040 but not the state.i called the state and they said it is intuits fault

i called intutit and they said its the states fault.paying all this money for service like this

regards, LARRY

stay safe

FarmerCPA
Level 3

It's most definitely Intuit's hold up.  If a form is not final, how can we efile it?  If we can efile we should surely be able to print.  How can the client review and sign the authorization if we can't print it?  Not even a PDF.  Crazy.  

hankinstax
Level 5

I found an email address on the Intuit Corporate Website to contact the "Office of the President".  I sent and email and within minutes got what appears to be a computer generated email saying it was being assigned and I would hear something within a day.  That was yesterday and as of yet I have not received any reply.  The problem is at Intuit.  The State Department of Revenue says their forms have been filinalized and that they have no reason why the forms cannot be printed.  So far, I have been lied to, mislead, and/or ignored.  The problem is AGAIN with Intuit with similar concern shown in previous years.  This is to say they cannot believe I or anyone else would question them.  Based on what I see here, the problem is not limited to Alabama but I will contend the Alabama program is at the bottom of their priority list.

FarmerCPA
Level 3

I took the same route, emailing the President's office.  I've received emails from four different individuals and a phone call so far.  No one has been able to really provide me any answers yet.  The only light at the end of the tunnel that I've received is that the Schedule J is supposed to be finalized sooner than the 3/17 date it's currently reflecting.  But they couldn't give me an actual date.  I'm located in a heavy agricultural/commercial fishing area, and those entities need to file and pay by 3/1 to avoid underpayment penalties/interest.  Hard to do that when one of the main ag/fishing tax forms isn't final until 3/17.  So frustrating. 

hankinstax
Level 5

I got a call reference my email to the president.  He said that while the form is final for the states (Alabama in particular) Intuit has failed to complete required authorizations for printing.  He anticipates this to be corrected  in a update on 2/3/22.  He would not commit to this as a certainty.  He could not comment on how this happens year after year to only ProSeries.  AL DOR insist their forms are final and have been.  If in fact  efiling can be accomplished, how can they contend the forms are not final enough for printing.  THE PROBLEM IS AT INTUIT.  INTUIT COULD CARE LESS ABOUT THE "ACCOUNTANTS COMMUNITY" THEY SERVE.

deb4
Level 3

I printed an EL101 from 2020 and inserted the 2021 info and filed the Maryland return with it

FarmerCPA
Level 3

I would greatly prefer 2/3 to 2/10, but I won't hold my breath at this point.  Just seems incredibly ridiculous that no one thought we'd notice or care that we couldn't print all these state returns.  Guess I'll call my TX, TN and FL clients to see if they can expedite getting me their info!  Lol.

FarmerCPA
Level 3

Better than nothing!

RollTide68
Level 8

I took a screen shot of a blank AL8453, converted it to a PDF, fill it in manually, and have the client sign it.  Once everything is final I will email the client a copy of the Alabama return.  I have done this for the last 4 years.  Usually have about 20 to email before Intuit gets off their dead A$$ to give us the finalized forms.

FarmerCPA
Level 3

Good idea.  Anyone on this thread want to retire from public accounting and go develop for Intuit?  🙂

0 Cheers
mdtao31
Level 7

i know, my md efile was accepted but i was not able to print stata efile

this really sucks called state and they said it was intutits blame

called intutit and they said it was md blame

as long as they have got my 2755 rhey really

don't give a sh--

regards,larry

stay safe

hankinstax
Level 5

Intuits standard procedure is to blame the various State taxing agencies.  Again their programs are not user ready.  This happens more often that not.  You are correct in your measure regarding their level of concern.  So well said, so animating, and so accurate that as a gentleman of the south, I could not have said it better myself.

PATAX
Level 15

Both of you hit the nail on the head... as I like to say, what a joke...🤓🐕

IntuitGabi

Please review this article: State requirements for printing draft forms from professional tax software

I'll look into the instances where folks have e-filed and cannot print. 

RollTide68
Level 8

The problem is that the forms have been approved and finalized but Intuit has not updated the software.  As of this morning I no longer receive the yellow banner saying the form is not final but I still cannot print the forms.

mdtao31
Level 7

FORGET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MORE HORSESH__
REGARDS LARRY WOO HAS PAID 2685.00 for GARBAGE

IntuitGabi

It's possible you have included a form that is EF-Only (ready for E-file) but not "finalized". 
image (6) copy.pngimage (6).png

I'll look to see if there's a misalignment between the forms being Final and being able to print, If this does not pertain to you. 

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@IntuitGabi wrote:

Please review this article: State requirements for printing draft forms from professional tax software

That article goes well beyond what we were told a few years ago.

We were told that "a few" states requested that, and that the primary problem was with the Do-It-Yourselfers (TurboTax).  I don't know about all professional software, but I am aware of several that do NOT impose this limitation on their professional software.

Secondly, from what I have seen it is INTUIT's slow process of updating the forms that contributes to the problem.  Customer Support tries to put the blame on the States, but I am personally aware of some circumstances that is an outright falsehood.

If Intuit had ANY intelligence at all, they would bring up this subject with the states and be able to have professional software be able to print.   Again, despite the fact that Intuit tries to blame the state, 95% of the problem is with Intuit.

RollTide68
Level 8

Screenshot 2022-01-28 111044.png

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@IntuitGabi wrote:

It's possible you have included a form that is EF-Only (ready for E-file) but not "finalized". 
image (6) copy.pngimage (6).png

I'll look to see if there's a misalignment between the forms being Final and being able to print, If this does not pertain to you. 

That is a perfect example.  As far as I can tell, the state has that form finalized.  Intuit is claiming it will take them THREE WEEKS for Intuit to finalize the form and have the final version approved by the state?  It is this type of false information that gets us upset.

IntuitGabi

Dates are subject to change; every date listed is deliberately stated to manage expectations (in case there are unexpected delays). Intuit is working quickly with the updates and form approvals we receive daily.  

Thank you for your feedback! 

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

I retired from pot stirring and put my pot and spoons on sale on e-bay.  Bill was the high bidder for the merchandise 😉

Slava Ukraini!
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@IRonMaN wrote:

I retired from pot stirring and put my pot and spoons on sale on e-bay.  Bill was the high bidder for the merchandise 😉

I only stir the pot when there is something that needs to be stirred.  Unfortunately, Intuit provides plenty of that.

IRonMaN
Level 15

My arms got worn out from all of that stirring, that's why I sold my equipment ----------- it was health related🤧

Slava Ukraini!
ftooth
Level 2

Apparently there is a distinction within P/S between "ready" and "finalized".  Bottom line for the preparer is can we get the job done or must we wait.

FarmerCPA
Level 3

Comptroller of Maryland stated that Intuit's file did not pass testing the first time, so they had to resubmit their file to the state after making adjustments...this didn't happen until 1/27.  That's the hold up that they're referring to when they blame it on the state...but it's not the state's fault the file wasn't ready to go the first time.  

Funny that no one has mentioned this from Intuit's side.  Obviously they are aware since my conversations with them began prior to 1/27.

Sounds as if the development staff is either shorthanded or not up to par. 

0 Cheers