Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPP Loans and Reporting on Schedule C

ptrost
Level 2

I'm aware that PPP loans are not taxable if they are forgiven for both Federal and CA; however, do you still have to show the income on the Schedule C and make a negative adjustment for the forgiven loan amount on the Schedule C? Also, I know that you can include all expenses for Federal purposes, but CA is not allowing the expenses (minus payroll) at this time that are attributable to the business for a sole proprietor. I know there is a CA bill that will hopefully be passed where CA will conform to the Federal law. I'm just wondering how everyone in the community is handling these PPP loans for Schedule C filers. I'm thinking perhaps not putting the income on the tax return. 

Thanks

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

3 Comments 3
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

It was a loan,  not income.

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
sjrcpa
Level 15

Yes, but once it is forgiven it is nontaxable income.

I haven't had any Sch C PPP loans forgiven in 2020. But I would not put them on the Sch C.

For CA, I'd wait until they make up their mind, but prepare the client for the worst case-that the amount of the PPP loan is an addback to CA income.

Ex-AllStar
ptrost
Level 2

I did have a client receive loan forgiveness on the PPP loan. It is my understanding from the research I have done that the PPP loan forgiveness is not included as CA income. We are just waiting to see if CA  will conform with the Federal government on allowing the expense deductions.

0 Cheers