Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payemnt for IRS to CA is extended

bm
Level 3
Is date extended for clients who owe taxes for IRS & CA State for 2022
0 Cheers
14 Comments 14
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

There are 7 counties in CA that are NOT extended. All the others are extended for filing and paying until Oct 16th.

You can find the list on either the IRS or the FTB website.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
dascpa
Level 11

Question - I have a client who moved from CA to MD. However, he is doing Telehealth to patients in CA.  I called CA yesterday and they said yes, they tax this even though all of his work was done in MD (CA sucks....).  Does the delay to 10/16 apply to nonresidents or part-year residents of CA?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I think the extended date will be applied by zip codes, so if the tax return doesn't have a zip code in the affected counties, they wont honor the extended date.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

@Just-Lisa-Now- 

It's down to only 3 counties aren't included (as of yesterday 3/17/23).

@bm 

@dascpa 

And if a taxpayer's tax professional is in one of the counties, the taxpayer can still get the relief but it isn't automatic (i.e. based on zip code).  It would require contacting the IRS to get the relief.

(OT - this is going to be a royal mess 🙂 

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I cant keep up anymore!  Just make it the whole dang state, geezus!

I dont see it updated on the FTB site yet, still shows 7 counties...which ones did they add?
https://www.ftb.ca.gov/about-ftb/newsroom/news-releases/2023-03-ftb-california-winter-storm-tax-reli...

abctax55
Level 15

Lisa, I don't remember 🙂

Spidell sent out a flash email yesterday - you normally get those don't you?

( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

https://www.caltax.com/news/flash-email/2023-17-storm-related-extension-insanity-expanded/

( Generic Comment )"
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I normally get them, but my Email has been so full of crap lately, it may have gotten deleted before opening it!  thanks for the link!

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

YVW...

The "insanity" part in the subject line caught my attention 🙂

( Generic Comment )"
MICHAELMARS
Level 5

Does anyone know how to show this extension on the tax return?  Check box somewhere?

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

@MICHAELMARS 

Nowhere, per the IRS.... "they" will just know based on the zip code.   Or, so the story goes 😉

( Generic Comment )"
MICHAELMARS
Level 5

Unfortunately, the client no longer lives in CA and the address is a NY address on the return.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

No place to mark an EFiled return as a Disaster.   Were they living in CA during Jan/Feb 2023 when we had the storms that gave us the extended due date? 

Draw up a letter of abatement as a response for any penalty letter that may be received later down the line.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

"The IRS automatically identifies taxpayers located in the covered disaster area and applies filing and payment relief. But affected taxpayers who reside or have a business located outside the covered disaster area should call the IRS disaster hotline at 866-562-5227 to request this tax relief."

The above number might work (even tho your client's circumstances are a bit different), if you don't want to wait for the client to get a notice that you can then respond to..

( Generic Comment )"