Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PA 40

Connie4
Level 1

Why is Pro Series still requiring separate PA state returns when the taxpayer passed away during the tax year.  If the taxpayer passes away, Pro Series is still requiring a separate PA state return for the taxpayer and spouse.  I attended a PA Tax Seminar this week and the representative from the state said that has not been a requirement for about 5 years.  It is time consuming to do two state returns when it's not necessary.

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
PATAX
Level 15

Connie you can do it joint in Pro Series professional. They may state that in their instructions or wherever but you can file a joint return in the year of the death with Pro Series professional. I believe you have to make the survivor the primary taxpayer,  I.E. the deceased taxpayer becomes the secondary taxpayer or spouse.... I just checked and my aforementioned comments are correct. Hope this helps.

Accountant-Man
Level 13

"I believe you have to make the survivor the primary taxpayer." Like PATAX said.

That's what I do. If the TP passes away, I switch them, and it works.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.