Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Override needed on Form 8962

Minnow58
Level 2

Here is my predicament:

Divorced taxpayer has a pre-teen son, who lives with her and is properly taken as a dependent on the 1040.  Taxpayer gets her insurance through the Exchange, and received a Form 1095-A listing only herself as a covered individual.  Son is covered elsewhere for insurance.

Because of an increase in pay and extra hours worked, taxpayer needs to repay the Premium Credit given to her.  On line 1 of Form 8962, ProSeries lists the family size as "2", even though only 1 individual is covered through the Exchange.  Because of this, the Repayment amount is listed as $3,000, instead of the $1,500 repayment limit.  (Taxpayer is below 401% of poverty level.)

I called the IRS about this and they agreed that the repayment amount should be $1,500 instead of $3,000, since only one household member is on the Exchange.  (Yes, I was VERY surprised to reach a person at the IRS on the phone, and that they were able to give a complete answer!!)

What do I need to do to get Form 8962 to calculate the penalty for only one individual and not 2??

Thanks for your assistance

Michael Gilligan

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

The family size is how many people are listed on the tax return, not how many people are covered.  

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

When you filled out the 1095A did you list only the tax payer as covered?

0 Cheers
Minnow58
Level 2

How do I get the program to calculate the Repayment Credit on only the one individual covered under the plan?  It is currently calculating the Credit at $3,000 (for 2 people) instead of $1,500 for one person.

0 Cheers
Minnow58
Level 2

Yes.  There is no mention of the son on the 1095-A .

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@TaxGuyBill  can probably help here the most.  

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

The Family Size is two.  That is the number of people on the tax return.  In most cases, that INCREASES the credit and/or REDUCES the repayment.

That has nothing to do with the repayment limit.  The repayment limit is based on Filing Status.  If the taxpayer is filing as "Single", the limit is $1500.  If it is anything else (for example, Head of Household), the limit is $3000.