Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DFAS RETIREMENT

Marsha2020
Level 4

Hi all.  Need an opinion on military retirement.  Client was retired and received retirement up until his death in Aug 2023.  The run around getting the 1099R is unreal.  Spouse says it didnt come in mail.  She has called DFAS numerous times and they say there isnt a 1099R-and that the account is under audit.  I sent her to the IRS.  They say on the transcript that there isnt a 1099R.  Tried to call the practioner line and no time for me.  Should I leave off and amend later.  Should I use 2022 figures?  She needs her refund and I've exhausted all efforts with the exception of her congressman.  Just looking for ideas here.  Thanks so much.

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

my mother in law plays hell every year trying to get the 1099R from DFAS and/or the 1099R from OPM, each year one or the other or both of them is a huge hassle!

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

You could apply the COLA to the 2022 amount and prorate for 8 months.

What about withholding, though? It probably is down a bit from 2022.

Ex-AllStar
BobKamman
Level 15

Another case of signing up for electronic delivery, so no paper statements filed?  I have seen annual statements at the beginning of the year, telling military retirees how much to expect each month -- that can't be found either?

As @sjrcpa says, apply the COLA to 2022 and report 2/3.  Bank statements should show amount of deposits.  You can back into withholding with that, or at least close to it.  

No survivor pension?  

rbynaker
Level 13

I would use SJR's approach of estimating for extension purposes and fight this fight after 4/15.

If you're still spinning wheels then, try reaching out to your representatives in Congress.

0 Cheers
Marsha2020
Level 4

Could be a survivor pension. May be going to ex wife. I think this is why the audit part. The surviving spouse isnt much help here. 

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

I can't remember if it is DFAS or OPM, but one of them issues the new value for your upcoming year on the year end statement (so, 2022 for 2023), and that can be used to confirm to bank amounts.

Also, has anyone logged in for this document? If it exists, of course:

https://www.dfas.mil/legislativeaffairs/taxstatements/

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers