Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One vehicle, two businesses

MKEA
Level 2

Sole proprietor has one business for around 4 months of the year, switches to another, uses the same vehicle in both, claiming actual expenses.  What entries do I need in ProSeries to allocate depreciation properly between the two businesses?

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

I wouldn't fight with it.  I would just report all of the costs on one schedule C and then add a line on that schedule C with description something like "auto expenses transferred to 2nd sch C" and show a negative expense there.  On the other schedule C show "auto expenses transferred from 1st sch C" and report the same amount as a positive number there.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
IRonMaN
Level 15

I wouldn't fight with it.  I would just report all of the costs on one schedule C and then add a line on that schedule C with description something like "auto expenses transferred to 2nd sch C" and show a negative expense there.  On the other schedule C show "auto expenses transferred from 1st sch C" and report the same amount as a positive number there.

Slava Ukraini!
MKEA
Level 2

No doubt you're right, IRonMaN.  I've been battling with PS, trying to get it to do the right thing, whatever that is, but it's just not designed for this.  Probably no program is.  The candy wrapper I just opened reinforces your approach:  "When life isn't going right, go left."  Thank you!

dkh
Level 15

@MKEA     Dove chocolate?

MKEA
Level 2

Nailed it, dkh!