Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New York State Returns & Federal Unemployment Exclusion

Roxbury
Level 1

I am having trouble finding guidance on how to properly enter the federal unemployment exclusion in the  ProSeries NYS module.

A NJ couple filing MFJ were paid unemployment insurance pmts. totaling $18,786. $14,099 was NYS UI pmts. paid to one of the spouses. On IT-558 Adjustments Wksht. I entered code "A-011, UI Exclusion" with (+) $18,766 and (+) $10,200 NY State Allocation. Question 1: Should the NYS Allocation be $0.00?

My 2nd Question: On the PY/NR Allocation Wksht., Line Z Unemployment Ins. Exclusion), Columns A & C show a negative $18,786. What do I enter on Line Z, Column D (Income from Col.C from NYS Sources), a positive $10,200, a negative $10,200 or a zero dollar amount? One amount in Col. D gives a refund, the other two amounts give two different amounts of tax due. Any help will be greatly appreciated. - Thank you

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DTNY07
Level 7

1st question:  The NYS amount should be added back automatically on IT-558.  You shouldn't have to enter anything

That is assuming that they received the unemployment from NY.  You mentioned they are a NJ couple.  But, if the work was for a company in NY, then yes the unemployment would be received from NY

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
DTNY07
Level 7

1st question:  The NYS amount should be added back automatically on IT-558.  You shouldn't have to enter anything

That is assuming that they received the unemployment from NY.  You mentioned they are a NJ couple.  But, if the work was for a company in NY, then yes the unemployment would be received from NY

Roxbury
Level 1

Thank you so much for your help. Much appreciated.

0 Cheers
DTNY07
Level 7

You're welcome

0 Cheers