Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nanny Tax / Daycare Provider

REFUNDMN
Level 2

This is my first time doing a client that hired a nanny in 2021.  My question is can the client still write off daycare expenses using form 2441 with the nanny’s information.  Thanks

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

Yes they can get the dependent care credit for wages paid to the nanny.

Of course they filed a W-2 and are completing Schedule H, right?

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

10 Comments 10
sjrcpa
Level 15

Yes they can get the dependent care credit for wages paid to the nanny.

Of course they filed a W-2 and are completing Schedule H, right?

Ex-AllStar
REFUNDMN
Level 2

Yes and thank you.

sjrcpa
Level 15

You're welcome.

Ex-AllStar
Karl
Level 8
Level 8

I have this situation this year too.  Do you double-enter the care: once on Sch H and again for Form 2441?  I know this is a ProSeries post, but I'm on Lacerte.  Lacerte doesn't seem to be picking up the Sch H entries as eligible for 2441.

*If this (or another answer/reply) solves your problem, please click "Accept as Solution" to get this post out of the "Unanswered" queue of posts.*
0 Cheers
taxiowa
Level 9
Level 9

Reason Sch. H is not picking up 2441 eligible expenses is because Lacerte or any other software does not know what you are filing Schedule H for.  It could be your gardener or your wife's pool boy that you are paying as a household employee.  So enter it yourself on 2441.

dkh
Level 15

lol.........your wife's pool boy ............lol     good one!

TaxLi82
Level 1

Hi, 

I see I’m not getting credit for reporting day care expense to tax payer . Want to confirm it is because she worked as a self employed w/1099K and no w2 . Is this the reason ? 

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Self employment income counts as earned income for the dependent care credit. Does she have a profit or a loss?

Ex-AllStar
TaxLi82
Level 1

Loss

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

And that is the real reason.

Slava Ukraini!