Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mother in Law be a dependent?

yeknod
Level 3

I have done some research and getting conflicting information.  Can a mother in law be a dependent?  She lives full time with taxpayer.

Also, the mother in law had 90K in capital gains and only other income was Social Security of 13K which 11K was taxable.

0 Cheers
10 Comments 10
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

Try this IRS Tool, helps me out often

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/whom-may-i-claim-as-a-dependent

yeknod
Level 3

Does the gross income include capital gains? 

Can you reference the "conflicting information" you are getting?

A mother-in-law can be a "qualifying relative".  But not with an income in excess of $4400 for 2022.  In your case, income is gains from sales of property plus taxable Social Security, or $101000K.  Once you fail the gross income test, you can stop and not even consider the failure of the support test. 

yeknod
Level 3

So Capital gains from the sale of stocks and mutual funds are considered income?

0 Cheers

Let me ask you a question.  Why is their any doubt that it is income?

qbteachmt
Level 15

"are considered income?"

Investment income. Not earned income. Still income.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
yeknod
Level 3

Because it is unearned income.

0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 13

It's income.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers

So let's apply some common sense here.  Mother-in-law wins the recent billion dollar lottery.  We all agree lottery proceeds are unearned income.  Does it make any sense that she can be claimed as someone's dependent?  Of course not.

Gross income means gross income.  It is defined in Publication 501 in the section devoted to a qualifying relative.  It explains that a qualifying relative must have gross income less than $4400.  Since $100000 of mother-in-law's income is greater than $4400, it is clear that she fails the gross income test and cannot be a dependent.  

0 Cheers
taxes96786
Level 9

Gross income is all income from all sources