Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MICHIGAN AND TEXAS, JOINTLY RETURN

HOPE2
Level 8

Hi to all.

Michigan full year resident  got married with Texas resident who as a W-2 in 2023.

I could not find any area to exclude her W-2 from Michigan return.

Any help!

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
dkh
Level 15

@HOPE2 

Have you tried using the Part XI of the Federal Information Worksheet to get your wages to the correct state ?

View solution in original post

12 Comments 12
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Did they spouse with the TX W2 live in Michigan too or are you filling a part year MI return? 

If one of them didnt live in MI, I think you'll need to file a part year MI return in order to exclude that non-resident income.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
HOPE2
Level 8

Thanks @Just-Lisa-Now- 

Wife with a W-2 has been in Texas all year,2023

Husband has been in MI all  year,2023

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Im not familiar with MI taxes, but I think youd file a part year nonresident MFJ return for MI so that you can exclude the spouses TX income.

Thats what I do when I have spouses that live apart in 2 different states.  Ive had spouses that live separate in ID/CA and AZ/CA I file MFJ part year nonresident returns for these people.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
HOPE2
Level 8

Thanks, but one of them has been all year in MI, If I file MFS A kind of that make sense. What do you think?

The result was much better than MFJ since I could not find how to exclude TX income from MI.

0 Cheers
Camp1040
Level 10

Schedule NR Michigan

HOPE2
Level 8

Thanks@Camp1040 I already filled out Sch NR but did nt get changed

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

@HOPE2 

Have you tried using the Part XI of the Federal Information Worksheet to get your wages to the correct state ?

HOPE2
Level 8

@dkh Let me check, thanks.

HOPE2
Level 8

@dkh Thanks, to be honest did not understand! You meant dates of residency fill out on XI?

Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

yes

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
HOPE2
Level 8

@Skylane Thanks a lot, for this case, Husband been entire the year in Michigan with rental income and W-2 and wife been entire the year in Texas with a w-2, is it ok to file nonresident MI and exclude her W-2?

Thanks for your help!

0 Cheers
HOPE2
Level 8

@Skylane @dkh @Camp1040 @Just-Lisa-Now- 

Thanks everybody you guys helped me more than I expected. Thousands thanks!