Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MFJ, deceased spouse, refund

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Im getting an "error" on the EFiling Information Worksheet that wants me to attach something. 

It forces me to mark a box for "Is there a court order" = NO

Doesn't force me to mark this one   Filing as surviving spouse = YES

None of the forms listed at the bottom of that EF Worksheet apply to this client, but Ive got a red check on the Forms in Use list that takes me to the section to attach a PDF and no matter which way I mark the boxes above, I still have this error....anyone else have to wrestle with this?

eferror.png

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

OK, looks like its just a coincidence that the wife is deceased and this error is popping up on that form, it doesnt seem to be related to the court order/surviving spouse checkbox what he DOES have is that stupid 1116B that needs to be attached, its not shown in that list of PDFs that need to be attached on the EFiling worksheet...yea, if I go through Review, its the 1116B thats making it happen, why TF would it make an error on a form that doesn't even mention this attachment.

Must be a free gift with the latest update.

View solution in original post

8 Comments 8
IRonMaN
Level 15

The couple that I had this year, I just checked the box for filing as surviving spouse and I didn't have anything else popping up for court orders or any other silliness. Anything unusual on the return?

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Nope its a pretty standard return....I havent been prompted to check the surviving spouse box before either....maybe I should go back and dig up a different one with a deceased spouse (geez if I can remember who it was, there had to be at least one) and see if it shows an error now, maybe an update at some point made a change.

0 Cheers
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

I just tried a MFJ,  1 w2  sp dec'd 2022 w refund.....   just the questions 'Court Order'  NO   Filing Sur Sp   YES

no errors... final review is fine. 

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

well dang it!   Maybe I'll reanimate the wife, save and exit  and bump her off later and see if it happens again!  LOL

Or maybe I cant just get it though by turning off error checking

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

It is working for me too.

The fact it is NOT prompting you to check the box for Surviving Spouse may indicate that it somehow thinks there is a court order or something, and that is what it wants you to attach.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

OK, looks like its just a coincidence that the wife is deceased and this error is popping up on that form, it doesnt seem to be related to the court order/surviving spouse checkbox what he DOES have is that stupid 1116B that needs to be attached, its not shown in that list of PDFs that need to be attached on the EFiling worksheet...yea, if I go through Review, its the 1116B thats making it happen, why TF would it make an error on a form that doesn't even mention this attachment.

Must be a free gift with the latest update.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I'm glad you figured it out.

But I'm still wondering why it isn't prompting you to check the surviving spouse box.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Oh, wait, it does light up pink.  Ive never had to check a box before in the past for surviving spouse though.  

0 Cheers