Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

laptop

chenschuh
Level 3

Just tip over my coffee over my laptop, couldn't make it work?

If I buy a new laptop, do I need to have window 11 pro? Or is it ok to buy just widow 11?

8 Comments 8
sjrcpa
Level 15

I'd go with Professional.

Ex-AllStar
sjrcpa
Level 15
IRonMaN
Level 15

And buy one of those sippy cups they make for little kids so you don’t drown your new computer 😳

Slava Ukraini!
dascpa
Level 11

Looking at all the other practitioner posts on things not working with Windows 11 and ProSeries, I just bought a new computer with Windows 10.   Maybe when Windows 12 comes out ProSeries will have everything with Windows 11 working.

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

that is my goal.. go from Win 10, which is working great for me right to WIN 12.  Also a few years ago microsoft stated they would no longer be numbering their updates.. it would be regular updates to WIn 10 but they obvlously changed their mind.. Probably the PC makers pushed them to go back to numbering to generate new PC sales.

IRonMaN
Level 15

I don’t have any issues with Windows 11.  What happens if Windows 12 becomes a complete nightmare?

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

Did you buy the coffee at McDonald's? Was the coffee scorching hot? Do you have an attorney?😉🤓

ehunter
Level 3

I'm sure your question has already been answered correctly.  That said, I share office space with accountants and have worked in IT for more than 30 years.  The current minimum configuration we use for any profession that requires compliance and security is:

Windows 11 Professional

12th generation Intel CPU

512G SSD Storage

16G Ram Memory

We also recommend, (not mandatory but highly recommended), a local encrypted backup process in addition to encrypted cloud backup.  This can sometimes be accomplished by adding a second SSD to a new laptop which is then offloaded to a NAS (Network Attached Storage) device as well as a secure cloud based storage facility.  We use cloud managed corporate routers and separate WiFi access points to simplify troubleshooting and provide a higher level of stability and security.  We use a corporate level anti-virus and anti-malware package.  Additionally, (and we believe this is important), is to create local logon to devices separate from Microsoft logons.  This is done during initial setup as people sometimes need full access to "everything" separate from their Microsoft account, and this is especially true in the event of a major device failure.  BitLocker is also important and the professional version is required in order to utilize BitLocker.