Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I Transfer 2020 Data from Current Proseries 2020 into a 2020 Proseries on my old laptop that I had transfered 2019 data last year.

Level 4

Hi!   Last year I put Proseries Professoinal 2020 onto my old laptop and my new laptop.  I transferred 2019 onto both of my Laptops.  I only used my new laptop to enter all of my 2020 clients.  This year I want to be able to use both laptops because I have a part-time person for data entry.  I have been trying to figure out how to Enter my 2020 data from my new computer to my old one that I had transferred my 2019 data.  So Far I have not been able to replace the 2019 data with the 2020 data on my old laptop.  I wanted to do this before installing 2021 onto my old laptop.  Thanks for any suggestions!  

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Make a backup on new computer for all clients on a flash drive. From old computer restore all clients from the flash drive

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

If you are using two computers don't you need the Network version?

(I'm asking as I am only a single user person, and have never tried to load it on multiple machines.)

0 Cheers
Level 4

Hi Jeff, No I am not a network user.  I have the program on my two computers mainly as a backup.  My data entry person is not a tax practitioner but just data entry,  ie: the data off of w-2's.... We just enter data by hand.  

Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Make a backup on new computer for all clients on a flash drive. From old computer restore all clients from the flash drive

Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

You can use the standalone program on as many computers as you like, but it is recommended to only E-File from one of them

0 Cheers
Level 4

Hi Terry!  Thanks for that information!  I will remember.

0 Cheers
Level 4

Hi Terry, I did Transfer all of the 2020 data from my new computer to a flash drive, but I guess that my problem is that I could not figure out how to restore them from the flash drive onto my old computer.  I thought that maybe since I had previously transferred 2019 data into the old computer it was blocking me from restoring with the 2020 data. I did put the 2020 data into the ProWin20/20data file from the flash drive into the old computer. You are helping me to sort this out and I thank you.  When I went onto the program I went to transfer data but it wouldn't let me put in the 2020.

0 Cheers
Level 4

Hey Terry!   I went into the 2020 tax program and found the solution by accident.  A notice came up that I needed to reconcile the 2020 data base (which I had put in with the flash drive).  I also looked up instructions ---- Reconciling Home Base Files and client files..... From the Home Base Menu you go to the Database Maintenance box, select the registry to scan.  and on and on.   Long story short.  I got most of my files restored and looks like I may have to do a little more work on the few that did not transfer.

Thanks for your help and have a nice holiday!