Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the cost of ProSeries software just a license fee....not software expense?

monradbiz
Level 1

Is the cost of ProSeries just a license fee or is it software expense? 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Yes.   :smiley:

The cost for ProSeries is for the year-specific software, but it is bundled with the "Fast Path" license fee.

If you do not renew the annual "Fast Path" license, you can continue to print or amend tax returns you have previously done, but you can not print or file any new tax returns.

Out of curiosity, why do you ask?

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Yes.   :smiley:

The cost for ProSeries is for the year-specific software, but it is bundled with the "Fast Path" license fee.

If you do not renew the annual "Fast Path" license, you can continue to print or amend tax returns you have previously done, but you can not print or file any new tax returns.

Out of curiosity, why do you ask?

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
Coding for accounting purposes?

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Monrad
Level 1
I just learned that I can't file or print any new tax returns if I don't pay for the license each year and thought perhaps I should post the payment as just license.  I have ProSeries back to 2006 year.  I wanted to use a cloud base tax software this year but still have access to my ProSeries for preparing past years.  I currently have a client that I will be preparing 2008 to current returns.  Furthermore I prepare returns in my tax office and also at my home office and it is a hassle to transfer files between computers.  Thank you for the information for accounting and posting as well.
0 Cheers
IntuitJeff-H
Employee
Employee

Well this may help you in a way. The 2006 - 2012 software is unlocked and does not require and license anymore. We have sunset that software and provided all customers with said unlock patch. You can find the patch and instructions to install in the following article.

https://accountants-community.intuit.com/articles/1752803-installing-and-unlocking-2006-2012-proseri...

0 Cheers
monradbiz
Level 1
I have some of the years between 2006-2012 and did recently download some of the years with the patch. I was told I by ProSeries that I can't prepare a return for any years if I don't renew my license with ProSeries.  Is that true for these years (2006-2012)?  Sue
0 Cheers
IntuitJeff-H
Employee
Employee
Once unlocked those programs 2006 -2012 are free.
0 Cheers