Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IR-2023-189 California storm victims

PATAX
Level 15

" IRS today further postponed tax deadlines for most California taxpayers to November 16, 2023. As a result, most individuals and businesses in California will now have until November 16th to file their 2022 returns and pay any tax due." There are a multitude of eligible returns and payments included in this. Go on the IRS website if you want further information.

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
abctax55
Level 15

But unless CA conforms, this is worthless for CA filers.  And word from the FTB will not likely come before midnight PDT.   Generally, CA has (especially this year and especially since it's a CA disaster) conformed.  I'm not sure if I'll take the chance on the two I have that still needs to be filed.  

(Actually, I'm pretty sure I 'won't' be taking the chance.)

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

View solution in original post

9 Comments 9
abctax55
Level 15

But unless CA conforms, this is worthless for CA filers.  And word from the FTB will not likely come before midnight PDT.   Generally, CA has (especially this year and especially since it's a CA disaster) conformed.  I'm not sure if I'll take the chance on the two I have that still needs to be filed.  

(Actually, I'm pretty sure I 'won't' be taking the chance.)

( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

And the IRS will probably shutdown e-filing a little earlier this year, like around November 14th 😜

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

LOL... that would just be their m.o.  "Psych"   😉

My main one to efile has five states in addition to CA (primary state)... so it'll be heading off into e-file land shortly. 

( Generic Comment )"
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

My clients with payouts from the wildfires  were hoping for this extra extension in hopes that Congress would make the monies non-taxable, I guess when McCarthy got canned, the wildfire bill was in that package that got pushed out....I told them there was no way theyd end up with another extension this close to the end and made everyone get filed/paid last Friday, and now here we are!   

F all that, Im so done.  If it does eventually make it through congress they can amend and get their money back.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
IRonMaN
Level 15

They won't pass anything before November 16th.  My guess is around November 16th George Santos will be the latest cannon fodder, I mean Speaker of the House candidate. 😳

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

and by then EFiling will be closed and I wont recommend mailing in a 1040X so they'll have to wait for February to amend...I had some people with really big payouts, one of them was close to $2.5 million...they coulda sat on their 770k for another 30days letting it make them money  😞

abctax55
Level 15

And of course, CA conforms.... at 7:00 p.m. 

That allows so much time to switch gears /S altho I guess you can't really blame CA for this as the IRS didn't give a hint this was coming (that I'm aware of).

It will help out three of my delinquent clients so I guess I'm glad? 

( Generic Comment )"
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Feels like it really only rewarded the chronic procrastinators, flakes and those that didnt have the money to pay on time even with an extra 6 months.   Responsible taxpayers had it taken care of already.

PATAX
Level 15

@Just-Lisa-Now- according to that IRS notice it also applies to quarterly payroll tax returns normally due October 31st. I guess that includes the 941 return.