Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Individual Tax - Whether F-1 student can be treated as Qualified Child

binfeiwa
Level 1

If parents meet resident alien but their children are foreign students' status, can they treat their children as dependent? What I understand is to meet qualified child or dependent, the child or dependent needs to be US citizen, green card holder or resident alien. However, as a foreign student status (F-1), you have to wait 5 years before starting to calculate substantial presence test. Hence, until their children change citizen status or meet substantial presence test, their parents are not able to claim them as dependent on their tax return. 

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Do the children live with parents?  (Being in school counts as living with) 

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@binfeiwa wrote:

What I understand is to meet qualified child or dependent, the child or dependent needs to be US citizen, green card holder or resident alien. However, as a foreign student status (F-1), you have to wait 5 years before starting to calculate substantial presence test. Hence, until their children change citizen status or meet substantial presence test, their parents are not able to claim them as dependent on their tax return. 

Correct.  Well, almost.  I think Citizens and Residents of Mexico and Canada also qualify.

0 Cheers
binfeiwa
Level 1

The child is not a Citizens and Residents of Mexico and Canada. I understand the law. It is just the logic. Why you cannot claim your child if he or she has F-1 Visa?

0 Cheers
binfeiwa
Level 1

One child is living with parents, and another one is studying in a boarding school. Both are not a citizen of Mexico and Canada. They are holding F-1 students' visa. 

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

The 2 tenets of tax law:

1. It doesn't have to make sense.

2. It doesn't have to be fair.

Ex-AllStar