Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Idaho estimated tax form 51--changed amounts

ajp
Level 5

In April, I used form 51 and the limited amount of information I had at the time to calculate the estimated tax payment for a client.  They sent in the amount (80% of estimate).  In October, when I filed the return, form 51, line 2 was changed to be the ACTUAL amount, not the estimated amount for tax due.  Therefore, the 80% was no longer accurate.  My clients now have a decent penalty.  I am concerned that the October version is what Idaho thinks we predicted back in April.  However, Idaho is a state that Proseries doesn't file the extension electronically.  I am not sure if client sent the entire form or if they just cut off the payment coupon.  Is this something we can argue Idaho over?  

In the future, I won't use the 80% of estimated method.  I will use 100% of prior year method.

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
dkh
Level 15

I'm not familiar with Idaho Form 51 - but - my guess is Idaho doesn't really care what information you used back in April.  The penalties will be calculated based on the final return.   If it were me, I'd ask Idaho for a waiver of penalty - worse case scenario - they say no. 

View solution in original post

1 Comment 1
dkh
Level 15

I'm not familiar with Idaho Form 51 - but - my guess is Idaho doesn't really care what information you used back in April.  The penalties will be calculated based on the final return.   If it were me, I'd ask Idaho for a waiver of penalty - worse case scenario - they say no.