Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I tried to efile estate with 2 2017 returns. One short Aug to Nov and then a final -Dec to Nov 2018. 2nd return was rejected. Is there anyone to efile this?

holzcpa
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You wont be able to file two 2017 returns with the same EIN, the second one will reject.

Im not familiar with short year or fiscal year returns, or how they work...I just know you cant Efile 2 returns with the same EIN for the same year.  You'd need to mail in the second one.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You wont be able to file two 2017 returns with the same EIN, the second one will reject.

Im not familiar with short year or fiscal year returns, or how they work...I just know you cant Efile 2 returns with the same EIN for the same year.  You'd need to mail in the second one.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
DebiHCPA
Level 4
This is not an IRS reject it is Intuit because someone with ProFx was just able to dot this.  Intuit should update their software to allow for items like this. It is the professional package!
0 Cheers
taxiowa
Level 9
Level 9
Use the 2017 for short year 2017.  Then use the 2018 package for the year ending in 2018 which was probably due last week.
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
I wouldn't use 2018 program. Things have changed - such as no misc itemized deductions subject to 2% AGI. The second 2017 one needs to be filed on paper. FWIW - Lacerte cannot efile 2 returns for the same year either.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
DebiHCPA
Level 4
For trust returns you always use the tax year for the year the return starts. 2018 would be incorrect.
0 Cheers