Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I only prepare and file my own and my daughter's tax return. Do I need to get an EFIN?

nohook1
Level 1

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
IRonMaN
Level 15

No EFIN, no e-file using professional tax software.

Slava Ukraini!
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

You bought ProSeries Professional to prepare 2 returns? 

nohook1
Level 1

Thank you but could you please embelish a little bit ?  Is there a good reference in the IRS code or regulations or publications that I could read?   

0 Cheers
nohook1
Level 1

I'm an old man and don't have any paying clients any more. But I used this software many years ago and it is worth it to me to pay $300 - $400 for the software and the separate fees for preparation.   I thought perhaps there was an exclusion from the very complex sign-up procedures that I could avoid.   Please let me know a good reference I can read.  Also  please know that I really do want to file electronically without having to jump through all the EFIN hoops.

Does Intuit just allow me to file electronically without the EFIN number?

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

I'm sure there is, but I'll let you find it if you are interested.  Non-professional tax preparers can use Turdddtoaxxx to e-file but an EFIN is required to file using a professional tax software.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

I don't believe that you will be able to efile using Pro Series.

Perhaps you can find a preparer in your area that uses Pro Series, which you could take a backup of your tax file after you have it ready, and they could efile it for you.

qbteachmt
Level 15

"Please let me know a good reference I can read."

https://proconnect.intuit.com/proseries/efin-ptin/

"Before you can electronically file tax returns, you must apply to become an Authorized e-File Provider with the IRS and obtain an EFIN."

"Also please know that I really do want to file electronically without having to jump through all the EFIN hoops.

Does Intuit just allow me to file electronically without the EFIN number?"

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/license-information/help/register-your-efin-with-intuit-befo...

If any of the following conditions apply to you, you need to register your EFIN before e-filing returns:

• You are new to e-filing with Intuit and haven't previously submitted registration.
  • Your firm name or business address changed. The IRS requires that your firm name and business address match your IRS EFIN Application Summary.
  • You are notified by email.
  • You are notified by an e-file reject message, such as "853 Oops! The EFIN has not been registered to your Account!" or "854 Attention! Your EFIN privileges have been temporarily disabled by Intuit."

You do not need to register your EFIN if:

• You don't intend to e-file returns.
  • You have previously submitted the Application Summary, you are currently able to e-file successfully, and your EFIN Application DBA name and physical address are current.

As has been noted: when you want to be able to efile as a Consumer (fewer hoops), you don't use Professional programs. Professional programs will run through professional channels.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers