Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to report a 1099 Div and associate it with a pass through LLC Business

isabel1
Level 2
There seems to be no way of associating a 1099 Div to a business.  How do I do it?

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

You're skimpy on details.

Are you doing a 1040? And The taxpayer has a SMLLC which has an investment account in its name?

If so, the SMLLC is disregarded. Enter the 1099-DIV just as you would if it was in the taxpayer's name.

If I guessed wrong on the facts, please elaborate.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
dascpa
Level 11

Go to the Schedule K worksheet.  You'll see lines for data entry for dividends, qualified dividends, etc.  There are some items that need special entries elsewhere - foreign taxes, capital gain distributions, etc.  

isabel1
Level 2

This is a pass through .  I was hoping to do it on the individuals tax return and filing a business as a llc.  If I use the schedule k worksheet wouldn’t that necessitate me filing the llc as a separate entity outside the personal return?

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

You're skimpy on details.

Are you doing a 1040? And The taxpayer has a SMLLC which has an investment account in its name?

If so, the SMLLC is disregarded. Enter the 1099-DIV just as you would if it was in the taxpayer's name.

If I guessed wrong on the facts, please elaborate.

Ex-AllStar
qbteachmt
Level 15

Is the LLC "pass through" or "disregarded?"

That's the difference. The business doesn't matter. The Entity type matters; which tax form(s) and/or schedule are you working on? Also, it would help to know if that 1099-Div is for the taxpayer's SSN, or the Entity EIN.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
isabel1
Level 2

It is disregarded and has the entity ein .

0 Cheers
isabel1
Level 2

Yes I am doing a 1040. and the 1099 has the entity tax id number.  the llc is disregarded.  

Thanks for your help

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Then do what I said.

Ex-AllStar