Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to enter foreign tax and income on K-2 when don't know countries?

I am preparing a partnership return.  The partnership has income from some Vanguard foreign funds. The Vanguard statement that was provided shows the percentage of income from the funds that is foreign, but it doesn't list the countries.  How do I enter this on the K-2?  I tried to use the other category code that says partner determines, but it still wants the countries.  Haven't been able 

0 Cheers
11 Comments 11
itonewbie
Level 15

In this case, you'd simply select RIC = Regulated Investment Company Pass-Through Amounts.  This is an exception to the general requirement of reporting in gross income.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

I tried that.  But Proseries  still gives an error for not entering a country.  Then I tried entering RIC and a country, just to see what Proseries would do.  It gives me an error for entering both.  I wonder if the error for not entering a company will prevent me from efiling?

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

You should just need RIC.  That would be used in placed of a country where the foreign tax withholding flows through from an RIC.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

If it still doesn't work, can you please spell out the full diagnostic message?

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers

Sch K-2, p1-3: Pt II Sales - Desc - For proper display of country totals, please select all countries for Part II on Line 1 dropdown, even if Line 1 does not have an amount for that country.

I have RIC in the Other Category Code Section right next to it.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

@janice-mcclellan wrote:

I have RIC in the Other Category Code Section right next to it.

I think that's where you have a problem.  Other Category is where you report 901(j) income for sanctioned countries, which I assume is not applicable to you.

What you need to choose RIC for is the source of that flow-through.  Attached are screenshots of how RIC should show up on K-2.  I use ProConnect Tax but it should work the same way for PS.

Screenshot from 2023-03-07 18-34-13.pngScreenshot from 2023-03-07 18-34-36.pngScreenshot from 2023-03-07 18-35-01.pngScreenshot from 2023-03-07 18-35-10.png

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers

Proseries won't let me enter RIC on that line.  It has a drop down next to it with a list of codes.  RIC is one of them.  I will contact Proseries support.  Thank you for your help.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

NP, @janice-mcclellan.  Sorry I couldn't help you to get to the bottom of this.

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers

The Proseries technical person figured out that it was something in my software.  Had me delete the form and re-enter everything.  It worked then. Took her awhile to come up with a solution.

TCBCPA
Level 1

Janice,

I've been fighting the same issue with the K-2 error on a partnership return. So, did you simply delete the schedule K-2, save the return, then re-enter?  Any assistance is appreciated!

Terry

0 Cheers

Actually, that didn't work.  I figured out, on Part II Section 1, Line 1 Sales enter RIC as the code and put 0 as sales.  Then you can enter Dividends on the correct line.  The error on Line 1 should go away.

0 Cheers