Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to clear off unresolved extensions in ProSeries

Anonymous
Not applicable

Two new clients this year required extensions, but when I tried to extend them, they were rejected as already extended.   Their previous accountants, despite not having talked to them or gotten their permission, filed an extension when he hadn't heard from them.   Now I have these unresolved extensions on the two files, and they are stopping me from finishing and filing the returns.   How do I get rid of unresolved extensions?  

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JRC
Level 8

I wouldn't  worry about it.

I would Check the Box for Extension Filed and file the return when it's ready.

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
George4Tacks
Level 15

Have your client get a copy of the extension filed by this do gooder. Also have them  get a copy of the acceptance letter for these extensions. Input the numbers from those extensions into the program and go on your merry way to finish up the program. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for a prompt solution!  I have asked my clients to get them.   I see Submission IDs on my own 9325s.   Are those the numbers I'm looking for?  Where do I input them in ProSeries Professional?  

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

I would just relax and continue to do an excellent job for this client. There will likely never be a problem, but you will have all the information to mount a defense if it is necessary. 

Concentrate on finishing up this return and filing as soon as possible.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
Anonymous
Not applicable

Of course... but when I get the 9325s from the clients, where do I put the IDs in ProSeries?   

The clients are waiting on closely-held family K1s... no telling when we're going to get them.  

0 Cheers
JRC
Level 8

I wouldn't  worry about it.

I would Check the Box for Extension Filed and file the return when it's ready.

Anonymous
Not applicable

George4Tacks said I "input the numbers" from the other extensions into ProSeries, so I was trying to find out where to do that.  I'm not "worrying," I just want to do what the program requires.   Having copies of the extensions is also a good insurance policy for my client and me. 

As for your suggestion, my "extension filed" box is already checked, but I took the next step and checked the box "Extension Accepted by the IRS" and dated it a reasonable date and it looks like ProSeries accepted it.    I didn't realize I could populate that field myself.  I thought Intuit had to do it.   That seems to have solved the problem.   THANK YOU BOTH!