Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many 1095A should I input? Should I enter 1095A for minor child dependent on the tax return ?

The tp filing status HOH with one child 7 yrs old .

Normally, the child under 18 yrs should get Medicaid for free. The tp (mom) wanted to enroll the child in  market place Covered CA/Kaiser .Covered CA issued two forms 1095A for tp and child separately. 

Should I enter both 1095A and 3895 for tp and child ? Or just one (tp only)

The really differences are premium tax credit for inputting child's 1095A.

I am confused. 

Any one has the same situation, please help

Thank you in advanced

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Both should be entered, however, because the child qualified for Medicaid, that disqualifies the child's portion from the Premium Tax Credit.

I think you need to enter $0 for column B of the child's 1095-A, and make sure the amount for column B of the mom's 1095-A is only reflecting the amount for her (not her and her child).  You should be able to look that up on the Covered CA website (if the number is column B is close to, or less than the amount in column A, it is presumably properly only showing the mom).

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Both should be entered, however, because the child qualified for Medicaid, that disqualifies the child's portion from the Premium Tax Credit.

I think you need to enter $0 for column B of the child's 1095-A, and make sure the amount for column B of the mom's 1095-A is only reflecting the amount for her (not her and her child).  You should be able to look that up on the Covered CA website (if the number is column B is close to, or less than the amount in column A, it is presumably properly only showing the mom).

Thank you TaxGuyBill 

I tried to call Covered CA and ask the nature of the two policies on two 1095A separately but no solution

It is abnormal to see two different policies for mom and minor child since minor child is dependent on her tax return because I am health agent also and when any application is enrolled , they asked filling tax status.

Mom 's 1095A: column A= $484.81 (premium cost ); B=$508.35 (silver min cost plan) and C (advanced payment )=$483.81

Child's  1095A: column A= $246.89; B = $320.34 and C(advanced payment)=$0

Assumed both of them pay premium $246.89*12 =$2962.68

I saw the refund $3367 is more than her premium cost paid $2962.68 (could not be)

The Covered CA might mess up two forms 1095A

I input exactly 1095As which tp  received and premium tax credit $3367

I really appreciate your advice  TaxGuyBill

I love tax forum's advice 

0 Cheers