Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how is depreciation recaptured on a roof that was being depreciated 27.5 years when the rental is sold?

Young-TP
Level 3

0 Cheers
11 Comments 11
IRonMaN
Level 15

Unless the buyer specifically allocated part of their purchase price to buy the roof, just add the roof to the actual building cost and related accumulated depreciation.

Slava Ukraini!
Camp1040
Level 10

1. You can enter zero as the selling price of the roof 2. you can allocate a percentage of the sale to the roof and the house, or 3. you can make a new asset entrty workseet with the roof cost added  to basis of the  rental and the roof depreciation added to accumulated depreciation and then delete the original work sheet. Since both assets are 1250 property, you may want to use option 2 or 3

Camp1040
Level 10

@IRonMaN  I had my reply window open for a while and didn't see your answer.

IRonMaN
Level 15
But you have a multiple choice answer so it took a little longer 🙂

Slava Ukraini!
Camp1040
Level 10

Actually I think I may have dosed off for bit.

I have to say I'm still chuckling about the picture of Lena in the pocket joke.🤣

IRonMaN
Level 15

IRonMaN_0-1649091097214.png

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Young-TP
Level 3

#3 seems to make the most sense to me.  I do that for all 1250 depreciable property, correct.  

0 Cheers
Young-TP
Level 3

what about 1245 property that was depreciated, and is fully depreciated? 

0 Cheers
Camp1040
Level 10

If all assets were included in the sale, then enter the date of sale and enter zero for the sales price on the asset entry worksheet.

Young-TP
Level 3

Thats what I did.  Thank you so much. 

taxes96786
Level 9

The same way other deprecation items are recaptured.

0 Cheers